Login | Register

Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:15 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Cheers!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I've set my sights on Spring to give it a go. Only one week in my life had me log more than 30 miles. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a base of 40 to 50 miles a week will serve me well both in my sub 5 goal , and 5k racing.
I haven't deserted speed altogether , but am focusing on progression runs and slowly upping my mileage. Some of the aches and pains I "enjoyed" this past Summer were probably due to an insufficient foundation.
Just for fun , if I feel my fitness is there , I may try an indoor race or two this Winter.
I wish you all the best in health and happiness this holiday season.
Happy trails !
Chase

Top Top

Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:22 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Your idea of building up a base for the mile and 5K is the way to go. Build up the strength, run a few races for the fun of it, and then focus on the speed come the Spring. I heard an interview with Nick Symmonds, the US's top 800 guy. He said over the winter he'll train like a 5Ker because that's what it takes to run a world-class 800.

That's the way to get the best out of yourself. (I am a road runner, but I ran a 4:37 1500 this past summer at 50.) Good luck.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:39 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi,
I was a miler in high school(4:36 as a sophmore) and did not take it serious my last two years in school. 25 years later at 42 I started running but was fixated on the 400m. My best was 53.90 and 24.15 in 2005 (age 44) and now at the age of 47 I have goals to break 24 seconds and run 54 for the 400. AFter the 2008 season I was considering running the mile again. Any advice? Most information on blogs I find of new people wanting to run the mile are distance runners who are coming down from 10k's, etc. Obviously it is a long time before september but just thought I would ask.

thanks,

Mike

Top Top

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi Mike! No doubt you are fast! The goals you set up for the M45 400m class I´m sure you know also would have taken you to the VVM final! So why try the longer distances? If you insist, I think one should consider that on the mile, about 60% of the energy is of aerobic origin, so that would take you to a lot of long distance training and aerobic 400 - 1000m intervals during 1 - 2 years to get the endurance capacity. That I´m afraid would slow down your sprint capacity a bit, due to the different muscle fiber characteristics you get from that training. I think one has seen booth successful and also less successful individuals changing running distance. Obviously one cannot break it down only to "you are getting good on what you are training"
But I would not like to have you in my heels when 150m left in a mile race...

Top Top

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:33 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Mike,

Sounds like you have some pretty good times in the 200/400. I am just trying to break the 60 sec mark on the 400 at age 46. Did not run track in high school but played other sports. So I am not sure how fast I would have been on the track. I did run the mile in a little uder 6 min once at age 18.

Keep it up and maybe one day I can give you a little competition.(ha!)

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the responses. Your advice is sound, Hans. I have been reading jack daniels book on running and I am looking forward to the training. Unfortunately I injured my adductor/groin in a 200 run indoors at BU in boston Time was 24.76. It has been two weeks and slow to heal. the injury, however, has made up my mind to train for the mile. I am ready for a change. In high school i ran both mile and a leg on the mile relay so hopefully I can run the 400. We will see how the training goes. Tony, I have read your previous posts. Keep at it. Nothing but good comes from the training. Maybe we shall meet in a 400.

Mike

Top Top

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

tonyb wrote:
Hey Mike, Sounds like you have some pretty good times in the 200/400.

No doubt Man, you got some wheels! Good on ya! Can't say much about your training 'cause I don't know a whole lot myself. I just wanted to recognize your speed. Awesome. Hope your injury heals quickly.

Top Top

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:16 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks! Your speed looks good too, BMo. It's a beautiful thing, but we worked for it, too! That makes it worth it. I don't know much about the mile training either, but reading Jack Daniels book "Daniels Running Formula" has given me a nice blueprint to go by. My only question is to all the masters distance runners about the mile training is this. At this point my guess is I cannot run a mile in much better than 6:30, since I am not in aerobic shape, but I am in decent sprinting shape. At a 6:30 pace Daniels training calls for a 9:07 pace for long and easy runs. i am fine with that. I know this will take time. Most of the other types of running, threshold pace and intervals i am fine with too. It is the repetition training that is so slow I wonder if it will benefit me. The pace called for a 6:30 miler is 48 seconds per 200/1:38 per 400 with 4x the rest. I am used to 6x 200 with 3 minutes rest for my 200/400 meter training. Help on this and all mile training is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Top Top

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

MIke - I think that you should be doing you repeat 400s or 800s at a faster pace, depending on what you can do. Don't let a book tell you what to do, let it guide you. Use your good judgement to make the final decisions. If a certain pace is too easy, it's unlikely to do you much good. You need to stress the "system" to have it adapt. But not too much (don't overtrain) that you incur injury. Ergo, listen to your body, check fatigue levels/energy levels and alter workout intensity and frequency accordingly. My 2 cents

Top Top

Sat May 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am using the Jack Daniels "Running formula" book also Coach Roy Benson's "Secret workouts" book.

With the 4 phases of workouts (endurance - stamina - economy - speed), I am now half way done with the phase 2 (stamina) and have been doing intervals on Tue and Thur.

I was starting to worry, since it seemed like I was just becoming a "fast jogger", but during my last workout, after doing a 2 mile tempo run and then 4 x 200's I finally felt like I was starting to open up my stride into a good runners gait. Though the 200's were only run in 42 seconds, I finally felt like there is hope for me to be able to run a decent 1,500 meter race this summer.

I have modified the workouts listed in the books to suit my mileage and schedule.
I am running 6 miles easy on M - W - F, doing my speed/interval on Tue & Thur with a total of 4 miles on those days, and then run 6 or more miles on Saturday, with Sunday off.

I feel like I am getting into shape, and most important, I feel injury free so far.

I think I need to have patience in this workout plan, and not get ahead of myself in developing my speed, since I have had numerous calf strains over the last ten years.

I think that the Roy Benson book is a good companion to Jack Daniels, it explains things a lot more simple, at least it seemed that way to me.

Coach Benson's "Secret" Workouts effort based training
http://www.amazon.com/Coach-Bensons-Secret-Workouts-Effort-Based/dp/0825305063/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209849617&sr=1-3

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

As the OP for this thread , I thought an update was in order.

I'm 51 now. I have gone through some transitions over the last few years. I became an orphan and gained some weight. I started to get real and got in motion again.

I bought the Daniels Running Formula and put it under my pillow. Seriously , I began to get a little more purposeful in my training - then decided on Spring of 09 as a date to shoot for sub 5. Nationals in Landover - one mile run. I'd like to do a few trial runs between the 1st of the year and March.

To see what real running looks like , I'm going to go to Greensboro just under two weeks from today to watch the National Master's 5K X-Country championships. I'd run , but am treating now as my basebuilding phase. That's the excuse I'm using anyway !

I just moved to Durham , N.C. and am getting to know some of the Duke Forest trails. I've decided to stay here for 6 months - then reassess.

Happy trails.

Top Top

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:40 am

Master Masters Athlete

Good luck to you. How close have you come to 5:00 so far?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I've gone 5:20 in my only attempt at the distance. I need to race more , but am going to build a base and plan for my first indoor season in over 30 years.
I'm going to Greensboro this Sunday for some inspiration. National Masters 5K X-Country Championships. I'm going as an observer and have been told that I'll be welcome if I supply some post race beverages.
I hope you all are enjoying the journey. :)
Happy trails.

Top Top

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

This is a great thread, and I'm new to the forum tonight. I, too, have my sights on a sub 5:00. As recent as two years ago, I did a 5:08 solo time trial, then got injured.

I've pored over the training articles and agree in mind and practice with the longer intervals (3-5 min) with little rest to develop aerobic capacity, and shorter intervals (40-90 sec) for lactic ability.

I have to be careful as my achilles tendon strengthens, but I'm encouraged with the progress so far. My recent 5k race times tell me I'm in pretty good shape. My plan is to train through the winter, and peak for an early May Masters track mile.

I'd like to do a solo trial tomorrow. If the weather is calm, and my legs feel good, I'll do it. Up here in Vermont, it's supposed to be about 30 degrees tomorrow. :) I did 4 X 1200m w/ 200 jogs Tuesday (24 degrees, windy, and a few flurries) and they felt good.

Top Top