masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:48 pm

Master Masters Athlete

This entry will be part of my training column in an upcoming issue of Muscular Development magazine. High velocity training— attempting to move weights as fast as possible (even heavy weight) is important for track and field athletes. Excessive high velocity training can cause tendinitis, so be careful!

High Velocity Training Best for Older Adults
Adults lose approximately 20 percent of their active muscle mass between ages forty and sixty. They lose muscles cells and nerve muscle fiber connections, and muscle contraction speed slows. By aged 70, 75 percent can’t lift ten pounds overhead. Muscle tissue loss (sarcopenia) increases the risk of dangerous falls and decreases the quality of life. Weight training may be the most important form of exercise for men and women over 60. Brazilian researchers found that high velocity training produced greater increases in power and functional fitness than weight training at traditional speeds (2 to 3 seconds per rep). The high velocity group performed three sets of 8-10 reps of seven exercises moving the weight as fast as possible using 60 percent of the maximum weight they could do for one rep (1RM). The other group did the same program except they trained at normal velocities. The fast velocity training group improved more in all measures of power and functional fitness by wide margins but strength gains between groups were similar. High velocity weight training improves power and functional fitness for daily life better than slower velocity training.
(European Journal Applied Physiology 99:257–264, 2007)

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:10 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Most everything we do as we get older we should do at a 60% to 65% effort anyway. Let me explain. I'm sure all of us realize that we still have that 18 year old brain sitting on top of our shoulders. I'm also sure that we can agree that anytime we have inflicted an injury on our bodies is because that 18 year old brain forgot it's attached to a "seniors" body. That being said, the 60%-65% effort should be kept in mind with our events, the time we actually do the events and as you have mentioned, our training and weights. My question is, how do we actually determine what 60% is of our 1 time max is without actually going there and risking possible injury? Right now I'm guessing at what my 1 time max is (maybe a little lower than I can actually do). I also split up of the sets of reps. I read a training guide that said with a 2 to 3 minutes break between sets, the muscles can retrieve 95% of the energy it took to do the previous set. I stay at the same station till all reps are done at that station.Using my bench press as an example, I do 10 reps, break, 8 reps, break then 6 reps all with the same weight (unless the first set is just too easy. Then I'll add 5 pounds). I figure I can get about 125 pounds off of my chest 1 time (I probably could do more but I don't want to chance a stress injury) . Therefore I do my bench press at 70 pounds for the set. I don't know if I can increase the velocity any more than what I am doing now, but are you saying that I might be doing myself more good by say, dropping the weight and plowing through the 3 sets as fast as I
can? .............Later...............Mike

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am only passing on the results of a recent study.

Intensity is important for gains in strength and power. Attempting to move a heavy weight at high speeds (even if the speed doesn't change) appears to cause neurological changes beneficial to athletes.

Top Top

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:11 am

Senior Masters Athlete

So if I'm reading you right, in my case just stay where I'm at weights and reps-wise and turn up the gas as much as I can without hurting myself. Right?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:29 am

Master Masters Athlete

Yes. Try to do your reps explosively, even when using heavy weights.

However, a study by Joe Mastropaolo from Long Beach State in 1992 showed the value of training at high speeds with lighter weight. You do timed reps to gauge your progress. Don't overdo the volume because it will cause tendinitis.

Top Top