masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

New member here. Have started training to compete again. And I am starting very modestly, even though I have kept up my running since my competitive days about 24 years ago. I felt I never reached my potential in track. My coach thought my best distance was the 10,000 and marathon, but I always believed it was the 5000.

Here are my PR's:

1500 - 4:05
3000 - 8:50
5000 - 14:50
10,000 - 30:30
Marathon - 2:28:52

All these were achieved in my late 20's.

I always thought that my marathon training killed my speed. As a high schooler, I ran 51.5 for the 400 and 23.5 for the 200.

Anyway, I am aiming to run the 1500/mile to see what happens. I am wondering if breaking 5 minutes would be a possibility. Maybe not this year, but I wonder..... Oh yes, I am 54 so this may be incredibly ambitious. But who knows.

Any advice anyone?

Top Top

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The rankings for the 50-54 age group ranged from a 4:14 to a 4:52 1500 meters, according to the rankings listed on this site.
A five minute mile would be about equal to a 4:37 1500 meter race.

You should be able to run a 29.5 200 meters and a 64 400 meters to run a 5:00 minute mile, according to the book "the self coached runner II"

I would recommend that book, also "Coach Benson's 'secret' workouts" which is about 'effort-based training'

The only tips I could provide are:

1. Modify the workouts that you have done in the past which seemed to help you the most. ( ie. instead of 4 sets of 4x400's, you might try 4 sets of 2x400's set up for your new race pace goals.)

2. Use the all comer track meets in the summer to build you to your goal, they are usually very non-competitive and very fun.

3. When you race, be focused not really on what place you take, but on the effort you put forth. (a 7:00 minute mile is great if you gave it your all, and that is the shape you are in.)

4. When you are really getting into speed workouts, don't be afraid of rest. I will run three days, take a day off, run two days and take another day off. also, I will walk in between my intervals instead of jogging.

5. At the first sign of a muscle twinge, stop that workout and walk, don't try to push those old muscles, really listen to your body.

6. I will not wear spikes anymore, not even cross country spikes, I will race in racing flats, or lightweight trainers.

7. Make up a training plan and stick to it. if you miss a day, don't try to make it up the next day, just stick to the plan and make your next scheduled workout.

8. Discipline as an older runner, is not going beyond what you have in your training plan. You might feel like you could run longer, or harder, but keep it to the plan, or you will run the risk of injury.

9. Stretch and be flexible

10. Record all your workouts.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:50 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the information.

I am being extremely conservative in my approach to training. Maybe too much so, but at present I think this is wise. When younger, I tended to push too hard and was too concerned about mileage. Quality workouts suffered as a result.

I remember Kenny Moore talking about running (pardon the pun :D ) into a similar problem while a runner at the University of Oregon. He was exhausted from his emphasis on mileage and ran something like 9:48 for an indoor 2 mile. That was terrible even in "those days." Bill Bowerman threatened to kick him off the team if he didn't follow his instructions for remedying the problem. I think Moore was put on a regimen where he actually had 2 days of easy running between interval workouts. After something like 2 months of this, he ran 8:48 for 2 miles.

At present, I am doing easy runs with stretching and strides afterward. Once a week, I do a run on a hilly course, so I push this a bit, but not too much. This is followed by a very easy jog the next day or a rest day. My transition in 6 weeks will start with 2 hill workouts per week. And there will be 2 days of easy running/rest in between these workouts. And there will be lots of stretching.

Top Top

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

When I am building up to compete, I would do speed twice a week, but they were quick and short speed workouts, with the first one of the week geared for speed endurance, and the second geared for speed. But once I am racing in the summer all comer track meets, I will only run the meets for my speed workouts.
I would usually race a longer run, like the 1500, plus I would race a 400 or 200.
That is enough for me, I tend to respond to speed workouts pretty well.
I usually only run 25 miles a week, while taking two days off, so I stay pretty fresh.
My longer runs are pretty easy, but I do a lot of speed play during them,
I have always maintained low mileage, so as a result, I could race up to 5k road races, but when it came to half marathons, I never had the endurance, and would tie up around the 10 mile mark.
If you have a history of track, then just try the type of work outs that seemed to benefit you the best before, but keep them short and sweet.
Try not to over do it, and make it enjoyable.

Top Top
  Profile WWW