masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:09 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Okay, here is my situation. I am a 43 year old male who just realized how much he missed track. In HS and college I ran the 400 and 800. I have not competed in a track event in about 20 years though I did remain an active runner until about 10 years ago when I suffered a serious lower back injury.

Between the injury curtailing my running and a thyroid problem, I put on a great deal of weight. In fact, I am more than 60 pounds heavier than when I was last running regularly. With treatment I have stopped gaining weight, but find it exceedingly difficult to lose it. I have tried to stay active, regularly playing basketball and competing in mixed martial arts.

My son (12 y/o) is just starting his first year of track. I went to his meet today and it was really like going home! I have the itch, but wonder if it is even possible. I would like to try my hand at running 200 and 400m.

I am the type of person who does best when looking forward to a competition, so -- even starting from the condition I am currently in -- I would like to try to focus on a few all-comers meets this summer. Obviously, dropping weight is key to my success.

Due to my back I can not do any long distance running at all. My plan, at this point is to do my cardio on my exercise bike, lift weights, continue doing some of my fight workouts (medicine ball, heavy bag), and concentrate all of my running on speed work.

Okay, that is where I am. Advice on getting to where I want to be?

Thanks,

Dave

Top Top

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:15 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Congratulations Dave on making the committment to get back into the sport!

Last year was my first year competing after a 6 year break, and I too, have quite a bit of lower back trouble. It sounds like you are being smart and recognizing low vs. high impact on your back and what you can and can't do without pain/injury. My physical therapist introduced me to McKenzie stretches and now I swear by them. I'm sure you can google the stretches (often called McKenzie method). By being consistent with the stretches my back pain has been reduced greatly and my ability to compete has improved significantly.

Be careful not to 'jump in' to the competition too fast... good to be excited, bad to try to do too much too soon!

It sounds like you have a good system of working out - watch the diet with that and I'm sure the pounds will melt off.

Theres my thoughts... keep us posted on how your doing!
-Adam

Top Top