masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed May 02, 2007 10:35 am

Master Masters Athlete

I look at the different ways people warm up for training. I personally like to have a 5 to 7 minute jog and then go into a dynamic warm up of drills and active stretching. I am just wondering what other warm-up routines are followed. Your comments and opinions are welcomed.

Top Top

Wed May 02, 2007 12:52 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I too jog at least 800m sometimes 1200m before then stretching. After my stretch routine (about 20 minutes)I then do a few 100m stride outs to make sure the legs are ready for speed work or interval work outs. Then the work varies depending on whether it is a hurdle day or a running day. On a hurdle day I might do two sets of 3x100mh with a 300 walk in between each 100m and and 8oom walk/jog in between sets and finish with an 800 jog/cool down. On running days I do same format with 200"s instead of hurdles or 200IH. Of course I also vary to other workouts but these are two I use during competitive season quite often. If my legs are dead I drop one rep from each set.

Top Top

Wed May 02, 2007 2:01 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

35 or 40 years ago I realized that I had to figure out how to make sure I was warmed up before the gun went off in a race, having discovered by experience that I wasn't always ready. I decided that I had better figure out in practice how to make sure I was warmed up for the start of whatever sprint/hurdle/repeat I was doing that day and duplicate that warmup each day and duplicate it for races. Because of delays and differences in facilities, duplication at every race isn't possible. But I come as close as I can. So if you have a pre-race routine, I suggest applying it to your workouts--make them practice sessions for your races, too.

Bill Pontius

Top Top

Wed May 02, 2007 3:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Bill I agree with you there. To me it is important not to change to much the day of competition. Practice makes perfect even when it comes to warm-ups.

Top Top

Thu May 03, 2007 11:50 am

Master Masters Athlete

The following summary was from my training research column in Muscular Development magazine. I have seen about 10 studies showing that static stretching before exercise decreases performance and may actually increase the risk of injury by decreasing motor control.

Stretching Decreases Muscles Strength and Power
Until recently, most experts recommended that people stretch before exercise. However, there is no proof that pre-exercise stretching prevents injury. In fact, some studies show that stretching before exercise decreases muscle strength and power, impairs some types of motor performance, and may actually increase the risk of injury. Many recent studies found that static stretching (stretch and hold) decreases muscle strength around a single joint during dynamic or static muscle contractions. One study found that stretching only 5 minutes decreased strength and power in the thigh muscles for 2 hours. Yet, many athletes and active people continue to stretch before practice or competition. Researchers from the Appalachian State University in Boone North Carolina found that static stretching decreased force output during single and multiple joint muscle contractions. The take-home message is simple and important: don’t do static stretches before lifting weights or participating in athletics or exercises requiring strength and power. Dynamic warm-ups involving the specific movements used in the activity are more effective and will not decrease performance.
(Scandinavian Journal Medicine Science Sports 17:54–60, 2007)

Tom Fahey M59

Top Top

Thu May 03, 2007 12:45 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Read lots of stuff both ways.

I don't stretch. Don't jog. Take a few easy throws, then save the rest for the meet.

Both teams I'm the throws coach on, the running coaches have the kids doing tons of stretching. I do a couple of deep finger bends.

Top Top

Fri May 11, 2007 4:08 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I go to a trainer regularly, and his view on it was: doing full range of motion during weight training was more effective than static stretching. Apparently some research shows that maximum strength gain occurs at maximum extension during an exercise. I know I've found that, after a hard weight session, stretching does not relieve "second day after" pain, only activity (running) does.

Top Top

Sun May 13, 2007 1:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I'm glad this topic got some much interest. Dynamic stretching and Static stretching seem like the correct things to do. Its just the order in which you do them. I think that Dynamic stretching should be done during the warm up phase of any program or event. Static stretching should be used at the end of a work out or and event.

Top Top