masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon May 07, 2007 7:27 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Curious as to how everyone trains for the start when they're training. Do you have access to blocks? Just getting going again (more to keep up with the kids than anything else!) and would like to work on the start but don't have access to any. If you buy, what do you have and how do you like them? Did some research and saw versablocks, anyone have them/like them?

Any help is appreciated!

Top Top

Tue May 08, 2007 6:41 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I purchased the versablocks. I LOVE 'em! :D They are so easy to carry around. They come with a drawstring carrying bag which could fit right into your gym bag. They are pretty durable too. I have had mine for over 3 years. Before that, I had to bank on high school or college teams forgetting to put away all of their equipment and blocks. I'll still help myself to their nicer blocks when available. Nothing like being "opportunistic". :wink:

Linda

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Thu May 10, 2007 7:08 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the help. If anyone else wants to chime in, I'd appreciate it.

Top Top

Fri May 11, 2007 9:53 am

Master Masters Athlete

I bought my own set of blocks. They were not too much - I think around $90. I like having my own as I can practice whenever I want. I keep them in my car. In the winter they are in my cellar on the carpet. (!)

I got them from MF Athletic. They have adjustable angle pedals.

I see people with Versa blocks often. I think they must be pretty good.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri May 11, 2007 10:56 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I use the VersaBlocks also - convenient, light and sturdy. I have some very nice Gill Fusion I's, but they're not as easy to get around.

Top Top

Wed May 16, 2007 8:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

How much time would I gain from using blocks in, say, the 400? (assuming of course that I had practiced tons)

Top Top

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:19 am

Master Masters Athlete

I am coming at this from a "non-elite" perspective. But my feeling is that it doesn't make that much difference in a 400. I think the blocks are important in the 60/100 where hundredths of a second matter. My 200 PR was run with blocks and I think where that, for me, is still a dash the blocks help. My 400 is less critical on the start so I don't think the blocks make much difference there.

I'm sure others have other opinions.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:36 pm

Master Masters Athlete

FWIW I don't personally believe that running out of blocks is all about push off and acceleration. It's about posture in the first few seconds of the race too.

Blocks will help you stay low. When you're there, you can accelerate best. That goes for 400's as much as shorter stuff. Sure you might not need to accelerate as much for as long, but useful nevertheless to get up to speed as fast as you can before relaxing down the back straight etc.

I do block work mainly to hone reaction time for 60/100. You can simulate most other aspects without blocks with a reasonable degree of success- try acceleration runs over 40m keeping your chin to your chest. However, you need to do some block work to link all the parts of the process together properly.

I don't run many 400's, but I do believe that it's a good thing to get away as quickly as you can when the gun goes, 'cos whatever you lose against the clock at that point, you probably won't feel like making up with ten yards to run! I've always maintained that 400 metres is a middle distance event. My proof is that they run it 'round two laps in indoor competition.

England

Top Top