masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue May 29, 2007 9:12 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I'm having a problem all of a sudden with my throws. I'm a righty thrower, and almost all of my throws are now landing far to the right, almost out of the sector.

I can't seem to get my throws to land at center. I glide and don't spin. I tried to slow down slightly, and I'm hitting the center of the ring with my right foot, and I never foul, in fact I always have extra room to the toe board.

My throws have power and I'm throwing a good distance 14-15m but all to the right. I'm sure if I correct this problem, I'll get much better distance and more power in my throw.

Any help will be greatful.

Top Top

Tue May 29, 2007 10:59 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Throwing out of sector can be caused by a number of things. You might be trying to speed things up, at the expense of range of motion. Try to be patient and hit positions, don't rush your upper body so much.

It might be you're losing flexibility in your midsection from not stretching/too much trunk work without stretching. You're left foot is not getting far enough to the left; it may be completely lined up with the throw. For an extreme example of NOT doing this, look at where Randy Barnes' feet land; he's practically facing the middle of the sector with his feet!

Could be you're not turning that right foot in the center of the ring enough. Really emphasize the turn. Turn it early, turn it hard, grind it down into the cement, keep turning it through the release!

You should also try posting this question on the Ring.

Finally, if you post a front or back view of yourself throwing on YouTube, you'll get much focused, constructive advice.
:D

Top Top

Wed May 30, 2007 5:43 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I'm a 10-11m age 51 thrower, and my suggestion is about the arms- when you have come across the circle and are at the toeboard, firmly and decisively pull the LEFT (non-shot holding) arm fully around past the front, which should bring your chest and trunk facing directly down the center of the sector, and, if you have waited with your throwing arm still poised behind, now you can snap the right arm around and out and your throws will be in the center of the sector.

Top Top

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 am

Joe, Your speed across the ring is not the issue. It's at the end, as you are landing in your power position. You are starting to put the shot before the left foot has firmly planted on the ground and given a chance to block. :( Your hips aren't turning to the direction of where you want to throw because your body is not transfering it's power and body weight over to the left leg properly. That's why you get the throws to the right side. Try and Slow down your trigger mechanism in your head and wait for that left foot and leg to land and as you feel the transfer and shifting of body weight over it , start the throw. you'll see a big difference. :wink: Milton Girouard.... Gliders rule!!!!!

Top Top

Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:53 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi Joe, remember the shot will basically land on the same angle of the right knee. You have to get the hips all the way through like one of the other guys mentioned. Get the throws down the middle with the stand and progress from there.
Ron

Top Top