masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:09 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am looking for information on the anatomy of sprinting. I am trying to find out what major and minor muscles are used in sprinting. I would like to develop a strength training program based on that information. Does anyone have that information or know where I might find it. I sure this is a tall order to ask but I figured I would throw that out there before I hit the research trail.

Top Top

Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:18 am

Master Masters Athlete

Take a look at this paper:
Weyand, Peter G., Deborah B. Sternlight, Matthew J.
Bellizzi, and Seth Wright. Faster top running speeds are
achieved with greater ground forces not more rapid leg movements. J Appl Physiol 89: 1991–1999, 2000. I can send it to anyone who is interested. (discusdoc@aol.com)

The most important muscles for sprinting are the gluts, hip flexors, hams, quads, calves. It also helps to have strong spinal stabilizer muscles (abdominals, quadratus lumborum, and spinal erectors). The upper body has to be strong enough so that you can stay relaxed as you fatigue. So, all the major muscles groups in the body are important.

Strong and powerful hip extensors (gluts and hams) are most important for creating ground force. Good exercises for these muscle groups include squats, front squats, box squats, deadlifts, ham-glut machine, reverse hypers, step-ups, and one leg squats. Powerful and fast hip flexors are critical for initiating the next stride. You can also build sprinting muscles by sprinting hills and pulling sleds. I have a Life

I teach a course in Principles of Strength and Conditioning at CSU, Chico. Most of my students have very poor hip flexor power, while this is one of the principle attributes in great sprinters. Also, almost none of them know how to squat properly (until I teach them). Most people try to squat using mainly their quadriceps. Flex the hips as you descent so that the movement hinges at the hips rather than at the back. Stay back on your heels, keep the chest up, and back straight and locked. Use a wide stance and track properly (pain free) with the knees.

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thaks I new someone had a good start for me!

Top Top