masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:28 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I did a 10 step stride test over the weekend and my turnover is great, but my stride length needs work. (That's probably why my turnover is pretty good.)

What are some exercises I can do to increase my stride length?

Top Top

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:21 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I'd like to hear this. I'm finding out that my stride length is limited by the long-time neglect of my hamstrings - getting back into sprinting after about 25 years - nothing but distance

Stretching, stretching and more stretching - especially the hamstrings and gluts. Bob Cooley has a book called "The Miracle of Flexibility" some of the leg oriented stretching is good for this, in addition to the usual hurdles.

Running downhill. Don't laugh - you open up your stride, lift your knees and feel like you're flying. It helps.

High knees.

Leg curls - if you can afford it, or get to it, use a leg curl machine to strengthen the hamstrings.

Anyway, I'm working on exactly this - getting my stride to lengthen. I'm sure there are far more knewledgable people than me on this topic

Top Top

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:11 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Greaat advice! My flexibility, well, let's just say there is no flexibility. I'm working on that, though. :)

When I'm training, should I think, "Longer strides. Longer strides." or is that inviting injury?

Top Top

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:00 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I read a little difference.
Downhill running with increase your stride frequency but running uphill will strengthen your target muscles and make your running more powerful. With a more powerful stride and good frequency your stride length will increase. I tell my track kids to not focus on stride length but focus on powering and the stride length will come. Other leg powering excersices they do include running up stadium stairs

and there is the overall flexibilty... not enough can be said about that.

now if there is a way that I could practice what I preach... I'd be a much better athlete!

Happy powering!
Uni

Top Top

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I agree with little with NSHSDad and some with Momof4. Stretching is very important and is key to increasing your stride length. You can have great stride length but if there is no power in that stride you will not move down the track any faster.

The hill work is more for stride frequency to teach the body to move faster. It really does not teach you to increase your stride. If you are not very flexible right now AVOID IT OR FACE THE RATH OF THE PULLED HAMSTRING.

The uphill running is good. It does focus in on power which is key to sprinting. Hope my comments help.

Top Top

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I took a decision a couple of seasons ago to work on my stride length (age 51 at the time, running 100's in around 12.3). To be honest, despite being fully convinced by the talk that says longer strides = fewer strides = faster times, I'm not now convinced it made a huge difference. However, my gut feeling is that being fitter all round, and better able to maintain the stride length I had was what really counted, along with maintaining basic leg speed.

That's to say, I didn't need longer strides, just the strength to prevent my race stride getting choppy towards the end of the race - especially over 200.

Lots of knee lift drills, lots of fast foot drills (like modified running on the spot, but over 30-40 metres). Loads of walking lunges in the gym, working up do doing them with weights. Step ups on to a bench, with a high knee lift "follow through". I used strap on ankle weights for this at times. Loads of stretching the glutes.

By way of caution, I actually over-strengthened my quads as a result of my own regime, and hurt my hamstring as a result. Do take care to include quad strengthening and lengthening too. I have that on board now.

Racing lately, I've started to feel the benefit of this work, after almost two years, and I'm being told I look lighter on my feet. My conclusion is that, like so much else, there are few quick solutions.

See you guys in Riccione!

England

Top Top

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:36 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Very helpful information.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Fortunately for me, I live in West Virginia and finding a suitable hill is not much of a problem. I just hope I can avoid a deer from running out in front of me.

"Why do you have that limp? Old football injury?"

"No, old deer injury. Don't ask."

Top Top

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:49 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

This is related to stride length - something I hit upon by accident. At my work, they formed teams of people who wear pedometers and log how many steps we take every week. It's supposed to promote healthy exercise habits.

I wore the pedometer when I was running, and tried to keep some statistics on it. By knowing how long and how far I run, I can calulate stride length and turnover. I decided to play around with this on some 4 mile runs, with a 1 mile "fast-mile" thrown into the mix.

At the start of the week, I found that I had a fast turnover and short stride length. By the end of the week, I concentrated on running with high knees and slower turnover. It was rather astonishing, really. I was running something like 7:20 miles at the start of the week, and at the end, I was averaging 6:30's and my fast mile was around a 5:45.

I don't feel that I was running substantially harder at the end of the week, by the way, and I'm very certain that it wasn't an issue of improvment through better conditioning - mainly through better form. I'm cross checking with my coach-buddy about this.

I'm 49 and actually aiming at something in the 400-800 meter range for competition, but I'm giving myself a long-slow buildup for speed to spare my hamstrings further agony.

Anyway, it seems to be an interesting diagnostic.

Top Top

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:12 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Interesting observation indeed. Watching videos of Michael Johnson in the 400, his turnover frequency seems to be much greater than most others. However, Jeremy Wariner's turnover appears to be average. I know, not very scientific but it seems like there must be a complex relationship between the two factors in determining optimal speed for one's phenotype. Hmmm :D :D

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top