masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

From my training research column in Muscular Development magazine:
Two-Week Taper Best for Peak Performance

Fitness reflects training stresses and genetic ability. For athletes interested in maximum performance, the strategy should be to train hard to boost strength, power, speed, and muscle size (depending on the sport). Cutting down on training volume before a competition causes rapid increases in performance. This process is called peaking or tapering. Tapering is tricky: reducing the workout intensity and volume too soon decreases fitness, while working too hard close to competition compromises recovery and peak performance. French researchers pooled data from 27 studies on tapering involving runners, swimmers, cyclists, rowers, and triathletes. They used a statistical technique called meta-analysis to determine the optimum tapering plan. All studies used competitive athletes and included detailed descriptions of the tapering methods. They concluded that a 2-week taper that gradually reduced the training volume by 41 to 60 percent, without changing the training intensity or frequency was best for maximizing performance during the target competition. In other words, do short, high intensity training sessions beginning two weeks before competitions or games. Cut down on volume but not intensity. This strategy probably works for strength and power sports.

(Medicine Science Sports Exercise 39: 1358–1365, 2007)

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Great information! I am working on my plan for next season and that will be a big help. Here is a question for the forum.

How many times during a season can you peak for competition?

Top Top

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:10 am

Master Masters Athlete

Great info Doc. The power of the meta-analysis is awesome.
To add to tphit's Q, what frequency of competition is best? Meaning, is it reasonable to expect to run decently in an "all-comers" series that holds meets every week, or is that frequency too rapid? How about evry other week?

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:42 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Genetic studies show large variations in the response to training and the capacity for recovery. Most of us know that the intensity of competitions far exceeds anything we do in practice. Even in discus throwing, I can throw 30 to 60 throws in practice and work all night at the computer. However, I'm wasted after a 6-throw meet. It's much worse for runners.

Competitions are critical for achieving peak performance. Athletes must "race" themselves into shape. The optimal number of competitions is highly individual.

Top Top

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Figures! No easy answer...darn! You speak wise words though. I noticed significant soreness after 400m/200m "all-comers" meets this summer. I was only able to get in one decent workout before the next week's meet because I could tell my body hadn't yet ecovered. I think I' ll try to compete every other week in the all-comers next year in an attempt to optimize performance.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:02 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My personal experiences over the last 4-5 years have yielded the best results with a similar two-week peaking process. I also have noticed that I seem to have peaked at the end of my seasons for the 200 when I get between 6 and 8 races in during the summer. For the 400, I need at least 4 races at that distance. Just my own observations, nothing scientific.

Top Top