masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

From Fahey Nutrition Research Column, Muscular Development Magazine

Milk Promotes Rehydration and Recovery
Thirty years ago scientists thought water was the best fluid replacement. While that’s still largely correct, sports beverages are sometimes superior because they provide water, energy, and electrolytes. Milk might be even better because it sustains water balance longer and provides a protein source that can promote tissue adaptation and repair after exercise. British researchers, led by the legendary sports nutritionist Ron Maughan, found that low-fat milk (2 percent) restored and sustained body water levels in dehydrated people better than water or a sports drink. They induced dehydration through exercise that resulted in a weight loss of 1.8 percent. On three separate days, dehydrated subjects drank either milk, milk + sodium, water, or sports drink (subjects drank a volume equal to 150 % of sweat loss). Urine output was normal in the milk treatments but increased considerably when they consumed water or the sports drink. Because of urinary fluid losses, subjects were again dehydrated one hour after consuming the water or sports drinks, while they remained hydrated after consuming milk or milk + sodium. Low-fat milk is an excellent post exercise fluid replacement beverage, except in people who are lactose intolerant.
(British Journal Nutrition 98: 173–180, 2007)

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Cool post Thom and interesting one too. I assume they had enough subjects (and power) to demonstrate statistical significance? Good news for the dairy farmers, bad news for the sports drink companies. Wouldn't be surprised if they try to bury the info to protect their products. Guess I'll need to start toting good ol' milk in my bag! Thanks for sharing the info!!! :D

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

great info...unfortunately for me, milk is about the least appetizing thing I can think of to drink right after a hard workout other than soda... :cry:

however, it doesn't surprise me that sports drinks aren't as good...even though I usually prefer water, sometimes the flavor of a sports drink or vitamin water is easier to take...nonetheless, it's pretty obvious that sports drinks contain a lot of sugar (the corn syrup kind that just isn't that good for you)...

Top Top

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I corresponded with the lead author Ron Maughan (ACSM Citation Award winner in 2007). He has completed several more studies that corroborated his original findings.

He mentioned that he isn't very popular with the sports drink companies.

I love a cool glass of non-fat milk and chocolate cookies. I think the cookies make me throw further. They provide ballast.

Top Top

Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:08 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I advise a collegiate swim team and they are all on "chocolate milk" as their replacment food post hard training. Before we started this we had several scientific studies and experts who endorsed this.

Top Top

Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:28 am

Master Masters Athlete

I ALWAYS have chocolate milk after completing a pentathlon. At last year's indoor championships in Boston, one of the officials was nice enough to give me a cookie to go with it.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The nutrionist for a certain pro football team advocates milk for a post-work meal.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Interesting. Too bad that I seem to have become allergic to cow milk. Any idea if this works with soy milk, too?

Top Top

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:42 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Don't get too excited about this revelation.

A closer inspection shows that the research was funded by The Milk Development Council, one of whose publicly stated goals is the "stimulation and development of the market for milk".

This does add a sour taste to the whole piece, doesn't it?

Top Top

Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Nice catch! Did not see that one coming.

Top Top

Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Don' be too quick to flush that info. It's all about getting a certain ratio of protein and carbs right after a workout. You can get what you need in a lot of different ways, but milk just happens to also provide that ratio. I've never heard about milk being a good rehydation beverage, but it might be. What I heard was that it was good for post-work out nutrition.

But I'm lactose intolerant.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

While we should always be skeptical about any study, particularly those funded by businesses that profit from a positive result, Ron Maughan is a first class scientist and an honest guy. Last year he won the American College of Sports Medicine Honor Award and has published at least 50 studies on hydration and fluid metabolism. I wouldn't dismiss the results of the study solely on the basis of the funding source.

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top