masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:17 am

Master Masters Athlete

Part of upcoming my training research column in Muscular Development magazine (Tom Fahey)

Creatine, CLA, and Weight Training Improves Strength and Body Composition In Older Adults

Active muscle mass decreases 20 percent between age forty and sixty. By age 70, many people can’t lift 10-pounds overhead. Gradual loss of strength and muscle mass reduce independence and quality of life in older people. Weight training is an effective technique for preserving muscle mass, strength, and mobility. Researchers from McMaster University in Canada, led by Mark Tarnopolsky found that combining weight training and supplemental conjugated linoleic acid (CLA; 6 grams per day) and creatine monohydrate (5 grams per day) increased muscle mass (fat free mass), muscle endurance, and strength and decreased fat better than weight training alone (plus placebo) in older adults 65 years and older. People in the weight training plus supplement group gained an average of 5 pounds of fat-free weight and lost 5 pounds of fat during the six month study. None of the people experienced side effects from either supplement. CLA supplementation has been linked to fatty liver, but this was not observed during the study. Weight training plus CLA and creatine supplementation increases strength, muscle endurance, and improves body composition in older adults.
(PLoS ONE 2(10): e99, October 2007)

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:28 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Tom--Thanks for the post and the info. I suspect the results of that study may have been similar if creatine monohydrate alone had been used. Your thoughts?

By the way, for anyone interested, I found this link on stumptuous.com, for a study by the Journal of Sports Medicine that was done to review all of the literature on creatine:

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-4-6.pdf

I've never taken it because for years I incorrectly thought it illegal. Now I have reservations because of liver/kidney issues I have. Nonetheless, I found the article on the safety and efficacy of creatine fascinating.

Top Top

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:02 am

Master Masters Athlete

Yes. In fact, I recall a study that found just that.

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:33 am

Master Masters Athlete

My experience with Creatine monohydrate is if you do not drink enough water it can cause muscle pulls. This is my experience with sprinters. It does have all the other benefits talked about above.

Top Top

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Creatine is as close to a wonder "drug" as there is. My lifts increase by 10-25 pounds when I'm on creatine. I can hit my workouts with serious intensity and be ready again the next day for anohter hard workout.

The downside is that I feel bloated and somewhat lethargic with my cardio. I also get calf cramps if I run over a half mile. No matter how much water I drink, my calves will cramp.

Top Top

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tom,

I know what creatine is, so what is the other stuff? Just seems to be popping up at the lifting boards lately.

Any info and how, when, and with what these two supps were used?
Somethings need to be taken before workouts, after workouts, etc.

Top Top

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:32 pm

CLA
Master Masters Athlete

The results of studies on CLA and weight loss are mixed (some positive and some negative).

CLA might promote fat loss
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)— a popular weight loss supplement— is a fatty acid found in meat, cheese, and dairy products. Many studies have shown that it either breaks down fat or prevents new fat formation. A University of Wisconsin study found that slightly overweight adults (18 to 44 years old) who took CLA for 6-months lost body fat and did not gain weight during the holiday season (November-January). Researchers are not sure why CLA promoted fat loss, but it might trigger fat cell death, shrink fat cells, or speed up metabolism. If you decide to try this supplement, take the same amount and concentration of CLA used in research studies (3.2 to 5 grams per day; 80 % CLA). Taking a low dose of the supplement probably won’t promote weight loss.
(International Journal Obesity 31: 481-487, 2007)

Top Top

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:10 am

Master Masters Athlete

Do you know the results for the control group in this study just lifting weights? If they gained 4lbs say I would just stick with the weights-

Researchers from McMaster University in Canada, led by Mark Tarnopolsky found that combining weight training and supplemental conjugated linoleic acid (CLA; 6 grams per day) and creatine monohydrate (5 grams per day) increased muscle mass (fat free mass), muscle endurance, and strength and decreased fat better than weight training alone (plus placebo) in older adults 65 years and older

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

On average (included many strength tests) the supplement + training group made 15-20% greater improvements in strength than the training + placebo group.

I suggest that people take a look at the full study. It is free on the Internet. Tarnopolsky is a first-rate scientist and the study was well-controlled.

Top Top

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Any suggestions on how you can avoid cramps? I had a real problem with them the last time I tried Creatine.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yea drink water like a fish.

Top Top