masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:14 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I know this has been addressed in prior posts but it remains a stumbling block for me:
Does anyone have advice on how better to turn my right foot as I come out of the turn at the back of the ring. Specifically, when coming out of the back of the ring I try to land on the ball of my right foot with it pointed toward 3-4 o'clock. It is here that I struggle with "grinding the turn" sometimes I do -sometimes I don't. It is usually a challenge to activate that right foot to turn completely through until relaease. For and old guy (45 ) just getting back in to game-any thoughts?

Top Top

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:36 pm

Master Masters Athlete

John Powell has two suggestions: settle over a bent right leg and push hard with the left leg out of the back of the circle. The left leg push keep the right foot moving.

Easier to say than it is to do. Most elite throwers pre turn the right, which makes it a bit easier.

Tom Fahey M60

Top Top

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:13 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I will try that-thanks

Top Top

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Try thinking of turning the heel out and not just turning the toe.
It is doing the same thing, but different.

Top Top

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The heel cue is a good idea. I am going to try it (if my back ever heals).

Top Top

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:17 am

Master Masters Athlete

Tom,

Worst thing is happening to my discus throwing.
Great coach, terrible thrower.

Hammer, shot, weight, are all booming. Discus laughs at me.

Top Top

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You can try to grind the ball of your foot, or force your heel around, all you want but your hips are going to resist turning until your left lower-leg/foot passes 9:00. Until then that trailing left leg will be acting like a “boat anchor” against your hip rotation. Far too many people leave the back with a big forward reach with their sweep leg while keeping their pivot foot planted in the back. Until that pivot foot snaps forward past the right foot they’re stuck. So ideally, you want to hit the middle with your right toe pointing at 3:00 and at the same instant you touch down, your left foot passing 9:00. If you can do this while staying on the ball of your foot, you won’t be able to NOT keep turning.

It’s is easier said than done though. You need to be balanced over your left foot out of the back, have an effective leg sweep without “reaching” for the middle, have good erect posture (very important), and then learn the proper body position you need in order to not fall over when you hit the middle and start spinning.

There’s a downside to everything though. There’s going to be a longer walk to pick up your implement.
:)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Mr Hadabetter,

Excellent advice. I actually understood what you posted.
Though being left-handed, I had to dig up my discus cirlce and turn it over with a forklift. My right foot is usually late and barely touches down.
The 9 and 3 (or 3 and 9) is a very good tip.

Now, from my little brother comes, use half the ring and look down at your feet. Done lots of those lately. Still the right foot was coming along for the ride.

Top Top

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:53 am

Master Masters Athlete

rev gj wrote:
Mr Hadabetter,

Excellent advice. I actually understood what you posted.
Though being left-handed, I had to dig up my discus cirlce and turn it over with a forklift. My right foot is usually late and barely touches down.
The 9 and 3 (or 3 and 9) is a very good tip.

Now, from my little brother comes, use half the ring and look down at your feet. Done lots of those lately. Still the right foot was coming along for the ride.

Mr Rev GJ

I'm a lefty too, but I'm so use to operating in this backward world that when people say "right leg" I hear "left leg". My confusion now comes when I hear another lefty try to explain something!

I saw on an earlier post that your discus technique had gone south. Have you been able to work out the bugs yet?

I hope to throw in a meet with you and discusdoc some day. Maybe I'll go to Nationals this year. If so I'll definitely introduce myself. I'm moving up to the 55-59 group this year. Yea!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:59 am

Master Masters Athlete

My discus throwing is just stagnant. Everything else is going great guns.

Me and little brother Dan should be at Spokane. Dan just turned 50, so he wants to go have some fun. I have a shot in the weight and hammer.

Discusdoc (Tom), I'm sure will be there. This is my last year in the 55-59, so I'm working with the 1k discus on the side. Now, that, I can throw.

Top Top

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:27 am

Master Masters Athlete

There are a lot of big dogs turning 50 this year, so I'm moving up just in time.

My chances in discus are totally dependent on who else attends. In other words, I win every meet unless somebody better shows up. :) At a well attended Nationals, realistically my goal would have to be just to make the finals.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The competition at Riccioni in the 50-54 year old discus this year was amazing. I think there were 11 or 12 guys throwing over 155 feet. US discus throwing in this age groups is just as impressive.

I think what we're seeing are more talented people taking the sport very seriously (not only in the discus). If all the good 50-54 year old throwers in the US show up in Spokane, the competition will be awesome. Ralph's technique improved leaps and bounds last season. I think he will break the American record this year. Dan John is also capable of throwing over 200 feet. Steve Patridge had a monster throw last season and Ray Burton threw well consistently. Add to that the guys coming up from the 45-49 group and you have a heck of a competition.

The 55-59 group is just as impressive. Tim Muller and Valentino Martinez will duke it out. Tim made some major technique improvements last season and is capable of throwing over 55 meters.

Throwing is most fun when you have a group of serious, talented people going at it. I hope everyone shows up to the competition.

Tom Fahey M60

Top Top

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think Bruce Navarre is moving up too. I saw him throw 47.47 in 2006 with the 2kg implement.

Top Top
  Profile WWW