masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:18 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Here's another question from a newbie master/born-again sprinter: how many times a week, if any, do you train in spikes. In college, I did quite often, but as we all know, we're not in college anymore. Just curious.

Thanks,
Scott

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Good question. Personally, I used do anything that's above 80% intensity and 200m or shorter in spikes. I feel the motion with spikes is a totally different one, so when I run in sneakers, it feels like I don't practice the "proper" technique. This is especially true for the very important "pushing" phase after the start.
I prefer middle distance spikes for training because I tend do land on the heels when I get tired doing longer tempo runs, or when stopping after high intensity sprints. I couldn't do this in "heel-less" sprint spikes.
But that's just my unscientific personal opinion.

Top Top

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I agree with Skurry. Although I am getting away from doing many longer intervals, I definitely wear spikes whenever I am running high intensity. I will even opt for a pure sprint spike for "all-out" speed (anything 60m or below). You still have to go with what you are comfortable with and what you can do that will allow you to stay healthy. Maybe try every other session or every third session with spikes if you are worried about injuries. My guess is that you will like the feeling of running in spikes compared to flats and want to use spikes more often - at least I know I am that way. Good luck!!

Top Top