masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:47 am

Junior Masters Athlete

looking for secrets on how to develope speed for 60 yrs old..... getting near my goal weight,competed in PV last yr after 40 yrs off..... now I want to develope 100 meter speed, but do not want to blow hams or quads......any ease into it programs for the physically age4d and and mentally immature???

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:06 am

Master Masters Athlete

Some secrets:

-- After REALLY good warmup, run fast in practice.

-- Use backward running and walking to strengthen quads, protect hammies.

-- Do pushups and sit-ups every day.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:10 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I'd amplify what Ken has suggested by proposing that for the first couple of YEARS you do all your speed work off a long accelleration -- what distance runners call "pickups" or accellerations rather than normal short intervals.

Top Top

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:42 pm

Master Masters Athlete

And do uphill runs (on grass or dirt).

But walk the downhills.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:41 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi I'm a 58 sprinter/jumper experimenting with deadlifts/uphill running. I find that if you keep strong don't need so much sprint work...therefore less wear and tear.Lots of recovery days. Good luck!

Top Top

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:34 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I don't know. Weight training I think is only a piece of the equation. I weight train regularly. Heavy. I'm a former pole vaulter turned powerlifter. I do lots of straight legged deadlifts to strenghen and lengthen hamstrings.
But on my 1st workout back t getting in shape for the vault I zapped my right ham. So I think warm-ups and flexibility are also key. I'm going to try the backwards running next time and back off to maybe 2/3rds for awhile.

Thanks,

Mark

Top Top

Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:44 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I would like to add to the build ups concept. Trying to srpint too fast too soon will lead to injuries. Start with longer runs at modest pace 120-150's at 50-70%on a track or grass in flats. This is not pure speed work but it will help you get your rhythm and timing so that you can be more comfrotable in sprinting. In short time you will be able to pick up the tempo of these runs without straining or tightening up.

You can compliment these with short blasts of 10-30m at 80-90%(pure speed/acceleration). THese runs will allow you to develop some turnover and acceleration. I find them to be less risky in terms of injuries. An example may be a 30m sprint with a cone every 10m and changing gears at each cone. THis reallly helps with coordination of accelaration capabilities. I would do these from a 3 point start to begin.

Or just plain 10m blasts where you punch it for 10m. Again as your body acclimates you can extend the distances. I take full recovery between runs so my execution doesnt suffer.

I tend to keep sprints down to twice a week with 24-72 hrs recovery.

Lastly, keep your back stretched out I too do a lot of deadlift variations and a tight back can lead to hamstring injuries. I do lots of calistenics to keep the body dynamically stretched, coordniated, and firing right. Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Split Jumps etc.

When coming back you need to consider nueromuscular acclimation and adaptation. Take a slow methodical approach.

Good luck,

Aaron Thigpen
www.gamespeed.net

Top Top
  Profile WWW