masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:16 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi, Since I haven't bought high jump spikes in 20+ years, I'm wondering which pair to buy. I'll probably have to buy onilne, sight-unseen, and wondered if you Old Pros know which high jump spikes are the most cushiony?

After two pregnancies in 14 months, and delivering two 9.5-lb. babies, my arches now need extra care. I have to wear running shoes most of the time, need a lot of cushion and support.

Is there a certain pair of high jump spikes that Master's prefer??

Thanks!!

Top Top

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:54 am

Master Masters Athlete

It is very personally... I had old Asics and liked them very much. For new ones I asked for the new Asics and I thought I could buy them blind. But no, there was something that did not fit me at all.
High jump spikes are not known for their cushioning...! Not at all. Some brands are rather stiff, feels like you have some wood under your feet. Others are more supple, and support your feet in quite another way. You need good fit anyway (I have narrow feet and so some brands are out of the question), too losse shoes are awkward during take-off.
You should think that it is a solution to put cushioning inner soles into the spikes. But the maximal thickness of the sole is prescribed so the combination of a spike and something extra can be illegal!
The best thing to do, I think, is to let your feet slowly become accustomed to the very high loads they have to withstand during take-off (well that depends on the height you jump of course). Do it very slowly. Add some jumping exercises to your workout. Do one series of 4 jumps to start, go 10cm high -- to start with something very easy, just an example. And add some jumps and height every week, end with say 40 jumps with full power (8 series of 5). That's just a possibility, millions of other build-ups are just as good.
Last thing: using much cushioning in the shoes will make your feet very lazy and this is a bad combination with high jumping. So do a lot of training for the foot muscles. Like those: barefoot walking in the long jump pit. The same on your toes, on your heels, on the outer sides of your feet, on the inner sides. Etcetera. And place some hurdles closest to each other and step sideways over them. Barefoot, and on your toes. Add speed to it and more hurdles. Your soles will not like it the first time but will get accustomed.

Succes! I restarted at age 45, had my first injury one week later. After a few months I could not believe that I ever should be able to run 400m below 90 seconds (in my youth I did 58...), but after some years of improving I came just under 68 seconds. In the high jump in my case results came easier. I did my first meet after 8 months. I did not do a proper preparation as I described above..., so my feet ached. And five years later I became world record holder! That maybe is not everyones ideal but the main thing is to enjoy every step, be careful and never despair.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:09 am

Senior Masters Athlete

THANK YOU Weia! such good advice, I wouldn't have thought of conditioning my feet muscles. You are an inspiration to me, I hope to one day jump against you (and lose : ) because that will mean I made it back! Of which I feel much despair, currently...but you said, "Never despair!" So I won't. I enjoyed the interview article by Ken Stone. And I often remind myself that you started at my age, and are still at it, and told me it was a decision you are glad you made. Thanks!!

Top Top