masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Hey guys. Just looking to see if anyone can help me optimize my training for an upcoming meet. Here's the scenario:

I've only been back to running for about a month after an 8 month layoff. I'd like to run the 200 and 400 in a meet 12 weeks from now. My first day on the track I ran 13.3 in the hundred (about 90%) and 28.6 (95%). I'm about 12lbs overweight (currenty 189 at 5'10"). I'll be shooting for 26.0/58.0.

I'd like to get some opinions on how to prioritize what little time I've got. Oh, my age is 38.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by cajuntrack on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:24 am

cajuntrack. If you are that bad and only 38, then you should pack it in immediately.

Sorry. "Only Yoking" as they say here in Sweden. I suggest you first plan to train regularly three times a week, with say a day's rest in between. Get a good warm-up with allround stretching and try to prioritise quality (running fast up to 300m) where possible. Be very careful with that warm-up and listen to your body. Do not succumb to peer pressure to do heroic circuits/intervals with short recovery because you could injure yourself, pull a muscle etc. and then you are definitely out. Good luck and keep us informed as to your 200 and 400 results. Anthony.

Top Top

Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Anthony,

I knowwwwwwwwww, not exactly blazing. I was middle distance in my younger years. My 20 year old PR's are 11.5 and 23.5. So, as you can see, I'm not a sprinter by birth. My long term goal is to run the 400/800 again and I want to get the most out of my limited speed before I begin training up in distance.

Thanks for the pointers. If anyone else has anything to add, I'm all ears.

CT

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My suggestion would be to get as much speed developed as possible. If you are a middle distance runner, then you can get the rest of the race by pure guts. Short (20-70 meters), fast (95-99%) runs with adequate rest (3-5:00) should accomplish that for you. Get a really good warm-up and get some time trials at various distances. When you do a workout, shut it down if you get 10 reps in at the short distance if they are all under the time. If you get 2 in a row not under the time, shut down your workout as well because you are no longer training fast enough to help your speed. If your turnover is there, you will hit your goal times. Good luck.

Top Top

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:46 am

Senior Masters Athlete

bowleggedlouie:

As always, thanks for your input.

I was thinking along the same lines in that I would start a 10 week regimen along 2 different distance prggressions, alternated and run every 4 days. All reps would be at (95-99%). I was planning on one easy day and one rest day between each speed day. The progressions were to go something like this, w/ 3-5 reps and full recovery:

wk1 wk2 wk3 wk4 wk5 wk6 wk7 wk8 wk9 wk10 Race
150m 170m 190m 210m 230m 250m 270m 290m 310m 330m
50m 65m 80m 95m 110m 125m 140m 155m 170m 185m

The idea being that I could work on short to long speed training for each respective event (200/400).

I like your idea of limiting the reps to the number that can be done at or under the target time, makes sense to me.

Critiques and comments welcome!

Thanks,

CT

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:52 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I'd mix in some weight training - like squats and cleans. I found that a lot of my "sprinting muscles" had atrophied from lack of use over the years, and the biggest issue was getting them back - weights really helped.

I gave myself about a year to get down to running a 400, however. My first one was yesterday in a 4x4 relay (great fun!).

Top Top

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:31 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks NSHSDad :

I was thinking of using Barry Ross' method with a lot of deadlifts. I always enjoyed power cleans too.

How did it go on the 4x4?

CT

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I used Barry Ross's program last summer with some very slight modifications and ran my best 400 and 200 since 2003. I ran them on the same day, no less. Train smarter, not harder and you will do well. Let us know how it turns out.

Top Top

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:24 pm

The 4x4 was grrreat! We basically threw together a B squad at the last minute and we took 2nd in our age group (next to our A squad). It was my first time in spikes in 30 years (ran the 800m earlier this season in flats to work my way down in distance) - I ran leadoff. It was a blast!

Top Top

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

What is the Ross method of training and where can I access it

Top Top

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:37 am

Senior Masters Athlete

danw34,

Go to http://www.bearpowered.com/ to learn more. It's basically a simplified method of developing muscle power without adding extra mass.

CT

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:39 am

4x4
Senior Masters Athlete

NSHSDad,

So, how did you calves feel 2 days later?

CT

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:16 am

My calves feel pretty good, actually. I was down in Jamaica about four weeks ago and ran tempo runs on the beach for five days (70 seconds on/70 seconds off - running on the balls of the feet for the fast part of the tempo, jogging the other bit) - typically after a three mile warmup. It was hell to pay for a while there, and my calves felt like cannonballs - I had some painful massage and acupuncture to release the tension that was going down into my achilles. I gave myself a good lead-up rest to the race to let things settle down - lots of ice and ibuprofen - rest, etc.

So, I think that the beach-running helped (but it was pretty arduous and I don't know if I'd repeat it and definitely *don't* recommend it). I biked around yesterday, and did some light running. Today was yoga and I did some hill running intervals already this morning, and a bit of trail running. I was careful to stretch the calves in between the hill intervals. My calves are just a little on the tight side now, but I'm going to give them some rest now - maybe some ice in spots tonight and see how I progress.

Top Top

Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:55 am

Cajuntrack.

To tell the truth - and reluctantly in your case - your 20 year old PRs of 11.5 and 23.5 were perfectly OK and a very good base to work on.

So. Howyadoin' so far? Still working hard on it? Not distracted by booze and women? Let's have your story to date.

Top Top

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:59 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Anthony,

Yeah, I know you don't much care for me....but that's ok :wink: . Progress was halted in the first week by a strain in my rectus femoris quad muscle. So, I'm getting back to it this week. I have 8 weeks until the first meet. I'll keep you posted.

As for women....I have a keeper at home, so that's not a problem and the booze is only in theraputic doses 8) nowadays.

Top Top
  Profile WWW