masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:24 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I simply cannot do the full spin in throwing the discus. I am currently only throwing from the standing position. I am 58 and have been trying the discus over the past 2 years. Any hints, ideas, suggestions on how to maximize throwing from the standing position, or any suggestions for adding a little something to it (short of a full spin) to increase distance at least a little. Thanks so much. This forum is great and I am new to it.

Top Top

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:54 am

Master Masters Athlete

A good standing position can be better than a mediocre turn. In the standing throw: make the way of the discus as long as possible, it can be far more than a half circle.
In stead of a full turn you can also try a half turn: start with the line of the feet in the throwing direction and your right side to the field, pivot on your left foot to come to the throwing position, and throw. The distance thrown can be rather close to a full turn.
In all techniques normal quality points are important. Like a well planted left foot, the axis of your turning body should go from left foot to left shoulder, throwing hand at shoulder height etcetera. But ask the real discus throwers for advice!
On the other hand, you are only 58 (like me) and with some time you should be able to do a really good full swing. I started to really learning the javelin throw three years ago and my technique has improved very very much. It is one of the nice things of masters athletics, we have so much years of learning before us!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:57 am

Master Masters Athlete

I can get a little improvement over standing distances with a 1/2 turn, but probably not as much as I should be able to. However, with a South African I can get pretty close to my full spin distances. The problem with that is that one foot starts outside the back of the ring. You might be able to do a modified South African with both feet inside the circle though. Short of a full spin I think that's your best option for longer throws.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:57 am

There should be no reason why you can't do the spin in the discus or at least modify your stance at the back of the ring a bit to make it easier for you to get around your left leg. Check out my throwers page and the video's on there of masters discus throwers. Maybe seeing them can help you figure out your problem. Good luck , Milt / www.geezerjock.com/gyrosport

Top Top