masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I just bought and used these Nike Rotational Zoom shoes at a discus meet. A friend told me they were fast - wow are they. Like a dummy, I took them right out of the box and used them at the meet with out trying them or getting used to them. They were so fast I botched my throws and had to use and old throwing shoe on my left foot just to stay stable for my last 2 throws. I think I will really like them though-they do seem to help an old guy like me turn the right foot better into the power position. I just need to practice much, much more in them.

I'd be interested if anyone else has used them and what your thoughts are regarding them.

Top Top

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:36 am

Shoes can't replace proper form and explosiveness. In my opinion, they're too fast and that's why you see lots of fouls and off balance throws in them by throwers who haven't perfected their technique yet, but that's only my opinion. Let's hear it folks...what do you think? 8)

Top Top

Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:28 am

Master Masters Athlete

I have gone flying a couple of times with the Nikes and the hammer.

Got a meet pair that obviously only use in meets. Finally scuffed the bottoms up for fast rings.

I usually try and find the cheapest throwing shoes for practice. The high school I coach at has really rough rings and it chews up shoes.

Throwing, the Nikes are great for the disucs, because I don't have to force the foot to turn in the middle. Hammer and weight, I love them.
Shot put, since I glide, I like to use my practice shoess.

With the Nikes in the discus, slow way down out of the back, then accelarate in the middle.

Top Top

Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think the Nike Zooms are inappropriate for most masters throwers. They are great if you can stay balanced and keep your feet moving. Most throwers don't stay over the left foot at the back of the circle (in right handed throwers) and don't turn the right foot hard when initiating the throw. I had some trouble with my post leg sliding during the throw using the Zooms.

The Reebok or Adidas shoes are more forgiving. Another alternative is to use flat shoes, such as Vans. These are inexpensive and give good grip for most throwers. The new Nike shoes look a lot more forgiving.

Several years ago I bought 3 pair of Reeboks on sale for $19 a pair. You can't beat a good deal.

Tom Fahey M60

Top Top

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:01 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I have Nike Zoom rotationals and they work really well. I'm a glider, so I'm a little unstable in the shot, but not enough that it actually hinders me. Since I bought these shoes, I can say that I can do everything I want when I am about to glide.

Top Top

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

The right shoes for you are a function of your ability, your form, and the condition of the circle & weather. I have 3-4 pairs WITH ME depending upon my recent practices and the condition of the circle and weather at the meet. In your case, you will need to get used to the step and "high" and precise movements required to use the Nikes effectively, or you will want to switch to something flatter and perhaps softer. Adidas make a hard, fast shoe that is not as bowed. At the other extreme, VS makes a very comfortable wide and flat shoe that is soft -- you may tweak your knee or ankle with it on a gritty circle, but it is perfect for fast and especially wet circles. In any case, few throwers would put a pair of throwing shoes on straight from the box unless they had been training in an older pair of that model and were in need of extra speed for that meet.

Top Top

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:47 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi… that was great stuff..

Top Top

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hey the Nike Zoom rotational shoes are really awesome.great shoe overall light at the ball points and heel, great spin rotation at the balls and heel parts and i go threw shoes quick i would know how long they last could be a little lighter but could understand why there not lighter.I prefer to use this shoe than other.motorcycle accident attorney

Top Top