masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu May 01, 2008 10:33 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Can anyone point me to articles on training for the 1500/mile, or have training advice to give?

I know it requires a lot of short type speedwork, 200 and 400 type training.

What kind of mileage does it require?

Top Top

Sat May 03, 2008 9:36 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

One of the best authorities on the subject is Jack Daniels (not the whiskey maker), who put together a large set of tables for speeds in intervals he suggests, etc. If you google the name "Jack Daniels" and "mile" or "1500", you should be able to find some information.

I'm more of a 400/800 guy, but from what I know - you should start with a good base of distance - maybe 4 miles/day with good rest in between. Going as far as 6 isn't bad, but don't overdo it with mileage. Run on grass or a soft surface, road running can really tear some people apart.

For intervals - most people recommend going both over and under your target race distance. E.g. 2 miles on the track, down to 400's and 200's.

Doing 400 intervals in target race pace is one of the better suggestions I've heard. This gives you a good sense of the pace you want to hit in a race - or - a sense of what kind of pace you can hit. In shorter distances - 400 and 200, you can also go faster than your target pace - that's where Daniel's tables can help out.

Top Top