masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri May 02, 2008 9:07 am

Master Masters Athlete

I've been throwing a fairly inexpensive discus and am wondering if anyone has input about upgrading. I'm specifically interested in the Gill Hollowood (70-75% rim weight). What differences would I be able to expect from a more "quality" implement?

Top Top

Fri May 02, 2008 11:03 pm

Master Masters Athlete

That depends on what type of thrower you are. The farther you throw and the greater the velocity and spin on the discus at release the more you gain from a high rim weight discus. If you are a "super" thrower you'd gain quite a lot. If you are a run of the mill thrower you might not gain anything.

The vast majority of young throwers are throwing too much discus for them and as a result they don't get a good flight, which cuts down on distance. Fortunately you aren't talking about one of the really high rim weight discuses and so you should get some benefit. To know how much will depend on how far you are throwing now and how fast the discus is spinning on release. I'll leave it to someone like Tom Fahey who is more knowledgeable than I am to give more specifics.

Top Top

Sat May 03, 2008 10:08 am

Master Masters Athlete

Jerry

I appreciate the response and I know the answer has so many variables.

I'm calling myself a beginner, I've been throwing for 2 years. W47. I am working on the spin and all my throws in meets have been standing throws. I throw in the mid 90ft range which I've been told is good for a stand. Right now my spin is about the same distance. I've had very little coaching, mostly people coming by to offer advice. (Lucky for me, some really good people) I just wonder if the better disc would spin better or fly better, and I know that mostly depends on what I do with it, but at this point I'm ready to invest in some coaching and wondered if the discus would actually make a difference as well.

Thanks for your reply.

Top Top

Sat May 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I don't think you're going to see any difference until you get up over 100'-110'. That's the point at which the 1kg starts to fly a little bit. But it's always nice having an implement that you really like. Go ahead and treat yourself...you deserve it! A lot of people swear by those Hollowods.

I would definitely recommend against going any higher than 70-75% rim weight though.

Top Top
  Profile WWW