masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu May 15, 2008 8:41 pm

Master Masters Athlete

From Fahey Supplement Research column in Muscular Development magazine:

Timing Important for Protein and Creatine Supplementation
Muscle loss in older people decreases physical capacity, independence, and quality of life. Muscle mass decreases because of reductions in anabolic hormones, physical inactivity, and poor nutrition. Weight training, protein, and creatine monohydrate can help preserve or increase muscle mass in older adults. Canadian researchers, in a review of literature, concluded that supplement timing is critical for maximizing their effects on muscle mass in older adults. Taking the supplements shortly before or after weight training increases tissue blood flow, which speeds delivery of amino acids and creatine to target tissues. Protein and creatine supplements are valuable for preserving or increasing muscle mass in older adults, particularly if they are taken close to periods of increased muscle blood flow.
(Applied Physiology Nutrition Metabolism 33: 184–190, 2008)

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Thu May 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Interesting post Thom. Makes sense. I'm still too nervous about taking creatine for runniong though. When I was taking the stuff back in my weightlifting days I did have significant issues with muscle cramping. Last thing I need is to pull a muscle on a hot, sunny, dehydrating afternoon right before my event. :cry:

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Thu May 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I tried creatine for the first time 10 years ago before the Nationals in Orano. I made the mistake of bringing along an old girlfriend whom I met at Club Med a few years before. It turned out that she had a serious problem with alcohol.

I threw at the meet and then trained with Carl Wallen at Dartmouth for a few days. We drove back to Boston for the airplane trip back to California. We sat in the middle seats of a 747 (8 seats across). I developed two massive hamstring cramps but was hemmed in by other passengers. By this time my girlfriend was three sheets to the wind (I think she drank a liter of vodka). She started screaming, "He's having a heart attack. I'm a nurse and he's dying." I tried to get her to shut up and finally stood up and stretched until the cramps relaxed.

I'm not sure if the creatine caused the cramps (I trained pretty hard at Dartmouth). I learned one thing: don't take old girl friends who drink to track meets.

Top Top

Fri May 16, 2008 8:05 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Tom,

Would this be considered anecdotal evidence that creatine and
alcohol don't mix?

I love that story every time you tell it.

Charlie Roll

Top Top

Mon May 19, 2008 7:38 am

Senior Masters Athlete

How does creatine help in the 100m? Someone told me it will help a sprinter maintain top speed longer and result in better 100m times.

Truth or fiction?

Top Top

Mon May 19, 2008 10:19 am

Master Masters Athlete

There seems to be responders and non-responders. From the studies I've seen, it looks like it could help in the 100-400 meter events.

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top