masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

From Fahey Training Research column in Muscular Development magazine. I'm not sure if this nutritional technique works; try it and see.

Protein After Intense Training Promotes Recovery
One measure of a champion bodybuilder or power athlete is the capacity to train hard, recover quickly, and train hard again. Intense eccentric exercise (negatives or lengthening contractions) causes muscle damage, post exercise soreness and delayed recovery. Remedies such as massage, heat, cold, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g., Advil) do not speed recovery or restore normal strength and power more than rest alone. British researchers found that men who took 100 grams of protein (containing 40 grams of essential amino acids) after an exercise designed to cause muscle soreness and damage (30-minutes of downhill running) showed higher strength levels 24 and 48 hours after exercise compared to a control group. Strength decreased by 8 percent in the control group 24 hours after exercise and decreased 10 percent at 48 hours. Strength remained at pre-exercise levels in the protein group during the entire recovery period. This study showed that taking a supplement containing a large amount of protein (100 grams) promoted recovery and would presumably allow more intense training. It is not known whether this technique would continue to work during repeated exercise sessions.
(Applied Physiology Nutrition Metabolism 33: 483-488, 2008)

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Cool! It's what the meatheads/gym rats have been saying ever since I was a puny high school kid trying to become the next Arnold..."lots of protein!" Just watch those kidneys! (drink plenty of water). 8)

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:50 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Do you have any research on this: carnitine-l-tartrate (CLT). There is a good article on it at Elite Fitness. Supposed to really help recovery. Haven't tried it though.

Top Top

Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I ran across a study on a similar compound that I included in my Supplement Research column in Muscular Development magazine. I'm not sure if this stuff is effective:

GPLC Increases Nitric Oxide in Bodybuilders
Nitric oxide (NO) is a chemical released by the cells lining the blood vessels that helps control blood flow in muscles and other tissues (i.e., the penis). Increasing NO might boost muscle blood flow in bodybuilders during weight training. Some athletes take NO boosting supplements containing L-arginine, but these products have no proven benefits. A study from the University of Memphis, led by Richard Bloomer found that glycine propionyl-L-carnitine (GPLC) supplements (GlycoCarn®; 3 grams per day combined with 1044 milligrams of glycine for 4 weeks) increased NO production in weight-trained men. They restricted blood flow to the arm with a blood pressure cuff for 6 minutes and then released cuff constriction. This caused a reflex increase in arm muscle blood flow that’s caused partly by NO secretion by the blood vessels. Blood samples taken after releasing the cuff showed that NO levels (measured by an indirect marker, nitrate/nitrite) were greatest when they were taking GPLC. We don’t know if increases in NO promote muscle growth in bodybuilders. You can get additional information about GPLC at healthscienceusa.com on the Internet.
(Journal International Society Sports Nutrition 4: 22, 2007; published online)

Top Top