masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:19 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I have to throw an 8lb shot for a corporate track meet. I am in the 55-59 age group so I usually throw a 6k. The 8lb is so small that it is hard to push against and now my elbow hurts. Does anyone have suggestions on how to hold the smaller shot and any technique modifications that might help with the lighter weight. Thanks

Top Top

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:18 am

Master Masters Athlete

Is this the USCAA Nationals track meet in San Diego in 2 weeks? If so, I'll be throwing with you, and you'll be throwing the 12lb high school shot. They go to the 8lb at age 60. The 12lb shouldn't cause you any discomfort. It's pretty much the same size, and feels close enough to the 6kg in weight.

I practice with the 8lb sometimes and haven't experienced the problems you mention. I have noticed that it's easier to throw from an off-balance position, so it might allow you to develop some bad habits. All-in-all though, lighter shots are supposed to help you develop speed. Make sure you're not arm-throwing it like a baseball because it feels so light. That could hurt your elbow.

But if the 8lb continues to hurt your elbow, practice with the 6kg and save your elbow for the 4 throws with the 8lb at the meet (if it is indeed 8lbs). Then take an Aleve after the competition. :)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:54 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I was referring to the USCAA Corporates. Since you compete in the age group for the age you will be anytime during the year I will be throwing the 8lb. A 5k seems more appropriate to me instead of the 8lb.

Top Top

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:01 am

Master Masters Athlete

I was confused, because you said you were in the 55-59 group. I guess what you are saying is that you turn 60 this year.

I agree about the weight of the shot put. The corporate rules are very screwy about implement weights. It really pays to turn 60 though, so long as your elbow holds together.

I'll see you there I suppose. I'll be throwing for the ExxonMobil team.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:09 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I am on the Lockheed Martin team. See you there.

Top Top

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:51 am

Master Masters Athlete

I don't know if you recevied this communication about the corporate meet, so I'm passing it on. It sounds like kind of a crappy deal to me.

"The discus area has moved to a new location - no longer on the infield, so far fewer hazards for viewers. On the downside, this area has not yet received new sod - so we suggest you don't bring your absolute best equipment, in case it gets dinged up."

Maybe we should all throw with a rubber discus!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:45 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Where did you get the info about the new disc area? Any indication they will attempt to sod it before the meet?

Top Top

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:15 am

Master Masters Athlete

It was an email that was forwarded to me at work. It appeared to come from the meet coordinator, and was addressed to the various team captains. It contained a variety of stuff like where the bathrooms will be, where the post-meet party is, don't forget to pay your membership fee, etc, etc.

It doesn't sound like there are any plans to have the landing area sodded before next week. I plan on taking an old disc and my good one, and then make a decision when I get there as to which one to use. Dirt doesn't worry me too much, but if it's full of rocks and gravel I doubt if I'll be taking the Denfi out of the bag. I arrive early Friday afternoon, and I'm going to drive by there on the way to the hotel to check it out.

So...we'll be throwing off away from the track action, and probably without many spectators around. Frankly I'm more concerned about the ring itself than the dirt. If this is a second throwing area that is under construction it's one thing, but if this is just some temporary set up and they throw down some make-shift ring I'm going to be bummed. It sucks for throwers to go to a college facility for a meet, and then possibly be faced with something worse than you would find at a typical middle school.

I was looking on Google Earth, trying to figure out where the were going to have us throw. The only place I could figure is a big bare piece of dirt just north of the track, beyond the 2 shot put circles.

I need to go practice. Maybe I can find a nice contstruction site to use today to get me ready for the "big meet".

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The more I think about it the less excited I am about flying halfway across the country to throw discus in a cow pasture. Especially since there is a real throwers meet 2 hours from my house that same weekend. I'm seriously thinking about bailing on this one. I may lose the airfare, but I'll save the rental car, hotel, and food costs.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Seems like half the tracks and fields are being redone this summer.

We are throwing into packed rocks over at Chabot in Hayward, CA.
The discus we are using is being destroyed.

The Regionals in SoCal is supposed to have the same problem.

Top Top

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

On the 26th we are having a throws meet here at mesa Community College in Mesa AZ. Many thanks to MCC Throws Coach Collin Post for helping to organize. We here in the desert have real grass to throw onto an three rings to choose from depending on how the wind is blowing. It may be 755 degrees F. but - its a dry heat.....

There will be some excellent throwers at the meet. As an alternative meet , if anyone is in the area or does not wish to shred their implement in a rockpile just contact MCC or let me know I can forward info.

Top Top