masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:23 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Sorry Leigh -

Is it because I have terminal "foot in mouth" disease? Actually, it was meant as a joke, but sometimes that doesn't come off so well in type.

I was considering 2 alternatives. 1) 1kg throwers don't need to because it's only a plus when the discus is too heavy, or 2) The people who typically throw the 1kg discus aren't able to pull it off.

Everything in that post was the result of my watching and reading and doing. I am not a trained discus "expert", but I am truly a discus fanatic. I would love to hear other opinions on the subject from those who are able to get past my closing comment.

I do not have a big standing throw, so I am constantly looking for ways to beat throwers who do.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:04 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi,

When a person is all consumed with getting better, all advice is welcomed. The foot in mouth technique is very old and always slippery, kind of like throwing from a slick surface. Alas, at times, a favorite technique of mine also. Which brings me to my point.

I have a need for very sticky shoes when I throw. To me this is what a fast shoe is. My asset is speed and I can't seem to get good torque without speed. I can't seem to get speed when I worry about a slippery surface. My intent, when I throw is to get as long a pull as I can and in order to do this I find that I get better results when I can manage to twist my right foot into almost perfect standing throw position. This is where the sticky shoes comes in. I find it very useful to be solidly rooted when I need to unwind the rest of the body as it catches up to the foot. Then the torque is felt up to the time the foot lifts up at the release. I am often amazed at the distance world class throwers can achieve when they finish their throw completely off the ground.

That's my two cents and I'm sticking to it.

J.P. Mayer (Soon to be 60 and can't wait)

Top Top