masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:32 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I'm wanting to get back into master's throwing after eight years away from it. I'm 50 and work full time. I have competed in the shot and discus before and will compete in those events when I start back. I also want to teach myself the hammer and weight throw.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to budget my workout time and include some weight training ? I also seem to be slow in recovering from my workouts. I think learning the hammer and weight will take up an extra amount of time since I have no prior experience with these events.

Any suggestions / tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks ---

Top Top

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am a runner, not a weight guy, but I would say that you will need to alternate weight days, throwing days and rest days.

Earlier in your season, you might put more days into throwing to get the technique down, but continue of the weights through out the season.

You might go like this:

Weight day - throwing day - rest day - weight day - throwing day - rest day....ect....

Or weight day - rest day - throwing day - rest day - weight day - rest day throwing day - rest day...ect....

The main thing is to listen to your body, and be able to tell the difference between muscle soreness and injury, and don't be afraid to take a day off if you are feeling like you need it.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:30 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I'm 51, compete in throws and olympic weightlifting, am teaching myself hammer and weight, and work full time, albeit as a teacher so at least during the summer don't have a problem finding time for training.

As far as finding the time to train, you just have to be creative. One possibility: get up earlier and do a short weight session in the morning before work. This may not apply to you, but in many cases, using your television for target practice with the shot can free up a lot of time.

I also don't recover from my training as quickly as I used to. However after 6 years of continuous training, I'm able to lift 4 times a week, throw 1 or two times a week, and do some kung fu once a week. Over a two week period, I rarely have more than one rest day where I do nothing physically demanding. I do cycle the intensity and volume of my weightlifiting to help with recovery. This week for example, my workouts consist of a total of 25-30 reps at 50-70 percent of max, barely more than a warmup. As runandsew said, you need to listen to your body on this. If you haven't been training at all, ease into it with maybe two ridiculously light and short lifting sessions and two technique oriented throwing sessions a week. Slowly increase the workload, and in several years you will be amazed at how hard you can go. A smart diet and lots of sleep will also help speed up recovery times.

Be careful. Hammer is addicting. Worse than nicotine or heroin. I used to think the best athletic feeling possible was a well done heavy snatch. This pales in comparison to watching a hammer recede in the sky with its wire whipping all around. My best suggestion for learning hammer on your own is to do millions and millions of turns, balanced and controlled, keeping the ball in front of you.

Good luck with it all, and welcome back to throwing.

Top Top

Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:39 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My throwing career is similar to many others: I threw in high school and college and one year as an open athlete. I stopped throwing to concentrate on graduate school and my career. I threw for 4 years in my early 30s but stopped again until age 45. I didn't compete seriously again until age 50. I have trained seriously since then (I am 60).

My training methods changed when throwing in my 40s and 50s. I started with traditional heavy weight training methods. As I've aged, I have gone to more whole body exercises and work on throwing techniques that place less stress on my body. I no longer do heavy bench presses, back squats, deadlifts, or cleans from the floor. At 60, I never throw more than 3 days per week.

I was extremely impressed by the 50-54 year old age group at Riccioni. Many of these guys were extremely strong and threw very far (I think 12th place in the discus was 155 feet). The 55-59 age group was not in the same league. While many were still very strong, it was obvious that age took its toll. By age 60, most guys can't tolerate the intense programs of young men.

I had a discussion about age appropriate training methods with Joe Keshmiri (American record holder in the discus 60-64, 195 feet) shortly before he died. He told me to forget about heavy lifting and emphasize general fitness. I didn't agree with him at the time (I was 53), but I do now.

Here are my thoughts about training for old throwers:

• It takes several years to get back into throwing shape.

• Train all year long. You don't have to stay in peak shape but you should always do something.

• Get strong but don't do exercises or training programs that damage your joints. Having a 400 pound bench or a 600 pound squat is worthless if your joints hurt so much that you can't move. Do exercises strictly. Train for the long haul.

• Good technique doesn't hurt. Film often and develop a technique that works for you. Use your whole body to throw; not just your arms. Maintain a neutral spine when you throw.

• Be consistent, but listen to your body. Forget about Rocky Balboa training methods. Don't try to get strong overnight.

• Masters isn't college. You have 100 years of eligibility left. Have fun. If you lose or throw poorly, there is always another meet.

• You will deteriorate with age. Don't compare your performances with those of 10 years ago.

Top Top

Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:17 am

Master Masters Athlete

All great advice.

I understand what discusdoc is saying too. I just can't handle my "gung ho" workouts of just 2 years ago. (I just turned 55.) It appears I have finally hit that slippery downward slope, and it came very suddenly. :cry:

Top Top
  Profile WWW