masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Interested in the opinions of you who have been at this for a few seasons.

How many Masters throwers only work on weight training and general fitness training in the Fall or do you pick up the implements and throw. I have had some younger throwers tell me that they don't touch a shot or hammer or discus until late November or even December. Your thoughts?

Top Top

Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I throw all during the off-season...sort of. I couldn't stand the thought of not feeling the discus in my hand or the hammer handle for an entire off-season. And consider this, our first meet is usually in March and our last meet is in November, so my off-season is only 4 months - and I still can't stand the thought of not throwing.

The reason I said "sort of", is because I have no access to an indoor throwing facility, and the decreasing length of the days doesn't allow me to throw after work. The result is that I can throw on Saturday and Sunday only, weather permitting. So if I can throw 5-6 times a month between Halloween and Valentine's Day I feel fortunate.

Naturally, there is a lot more time for weight training though.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:47 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I think throwing year round is a good idea. As stated by Hadabetter,

the frequency and the intensity may change, but you are getting a good
throws specific workout.

The off season is a good time to work on tweaking technique, or trying
another event perhaps the weight or jav. I like to play around with odd
weighted shots for variety, as well.

Charlie Roll, M60 SP

Top Top

Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My winter all-comers start in January, summer meets go to late July.
Throw most of the year, but mix it up in the fall.

As suggested by John Powell, throwing the 35# weight as probably the the single best implement for all around training. Makes you work, hard.

Turning 60 in Jamuary, so I need to play with the tiny discus to get in some sort of groove. I don't throw the hammer until about November.
The shot, I go with a 16# for volume.

Top Top

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 am

Master Masters Athlete

I hate to see you move up with the "old guys" Rev. It looks like I get only one year to compete in your group, and no overlap with your little brother (thank God for that!).

Good luck with the little disc. It might feel pretty weird for a guy who likes to still throw the 2k. But like Discusdoc says, you've probably got 30 more years of competition left, so that's plenty of time to get it right.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 am

Master Masters Athlete

I think it's important to throw 12 months a year to prevent injury. The pace and training program changes (as Gary said). I've been doing the following off-season throwing schedule; 2-3 days per week. My goal is general conditioning. I try not to throw too far (unless I'm having a good day)
Warm-up throwing 1 kg discus
Discus (standing throws with 3 kg discus) 10 throws
Discus (2 kg) full turns: 12 throws
Discus (1 kg): 12-20 throws
Overhead rock throws (33 pounds): 6 throws
Shot-put: 10 throws ( I really suck at the shot)
Strides: 1 mile; stride straights, walk turns

Weights: 2-3 days per week: Kettlebell swings, hang snatches, push presses, back stabilization exercises, front squats, standing chest presses and standing rows with a squat on Life Fitness functional training machine (2 sets of each; heavy days and light days). As I've gotten older, I find my joints no longer tolerate heavy bench presses and back squats, so I don't do them.

This program probably isn't rigorous enough for younger guys. I think you have to be very strong to throw the Olympic implements (i.e, 2 kg discus and 16 pound shot), so this program would be inappropriate. I want to throw for many years. I think some of my many surgeries came from lifting too many heavy weights and doing the exercises incorrectly.

I'm sure many people have different ideas about off season conditioning. I like this program and practice it regularly. I'm not sure I would do anything more strenuous.

Tom Fahey M61

Top Top

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Nice program, Tom.

I try to do some lifting everyday of the work week. Easy warm-up stuff, like using the 35# weight for KB swings, OHS with just the bar, and waiter's walks.

For the moment, doing 3x2, with 85% 1RM with the trap bar dead.
Three days a week, kind of Pavel PTP.

Dumbbell seated militarys, hang cleans, and the world's ugliest power snatch. Mix it all up.

Intense throwing on Saturday and Sunday, more days if I get home before dark.

Top Top

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:18 pm

I can see how throwing in the off season is beneficial to you guys. If I lived in a warm, or warmer weather climate, I'm sure I'd throw a little more in the off season, but Personally, I like to take time off of throwing for about 3 or 4 months (usually Sept, Oct. Nov. Dec.) and just lift and do of other things I enjoy in my life. My reasoning for doing that is to avoid mental staleness and keeping my joints stress free for a few months. I want to keep that feeling of excitement and adrenaline flowing through my body when I throw and if I'm throwing year round...I loose that. I like the cyclical feeling of time off, then gearing up to throw again. Just my two cents...Take care guys and enjoy your training...Milt :wink:

Top Top

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I trained year-round last year, but after Nationals this year (and having a sub-par performance) I just got burned out. So I haven't thrown from mid-August through late October. But I have hit the weights harder than last year from Sept. - Oct, instead of playing soccer on a team for a couple months (good for the heart and cholesterol, bad for the throwing).

So I think it depends on many factors, probably the most important being how much time/flexibility you have around work (for me, throwing takes longer than going to my garage to lift) and your local climate. If it's raining all the time, too dark to be safe in a public place, or too cold, you'll naturally throw less.

I've been working the power snatches, front squats, Overhead squats and bench press this fall, around 5-6 reps. I think that'll pay dividends come spring, more so than increased throwing, since I have relatively good technique, but poor strength...

Top Top