masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:01 am

Master Masters Athlete

I seem to have hit a plateau in my discus throwing and am wonder what to try next-currently I get about 25% of my distance from the turn and I practice very few standing throws so they really don't go very far.

I was wondering if improving my standing throws would increase my full throws and how many standing throws is recommended?

Any other technique refinements would be appreciated.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:25 am

Master Masters Athlete

If 25% of your distance is from the spin, that means the increase over your standing throw is 33%. That is an awesome number and is pretty unusual. If your technique is so good so as to produce those numbers then all I can think of is to get stronger.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I suggest downloading Dan John's free Internet book: The Contrarian Approach to the Discus Throw at www.danjohn.org. The site also has several excellent articles on discus throwing and strength training.

Go to www.macthrowvideo.com and watch film. Our recent gold medal winner in the discus Stephanie Brown-Tafton has excellent technique and might be a good model. Film your practices often and work on specific weaknesses. There are also several excellent DVDs, such as the one by John Powell, that present some great training tips.

My 2009 season resolution is to film regularly and get rid of some of the errors I have been committing since 1963. This is a painful way to train but it brings results. However, it is extremely difficult to change old motor patterns.

I agree with Hadabetter that you should get stronger. I suggest doing a lot of functional training that is easier on the joints. Dan John's website has some great ideas for developing functional strength. He also sells several excellent DVDs on strength training.

Strength training should complement your throwing. It makes little sense to beat yourself up in the weight room and neglect throwing. Try throwing heavier and lighter disks. John Powell says that it is important to throw something far. If you throw the 2 kg discus, try throwing the 1.5 or 1 kg discus. Years ago, an old masters thrower from the east coast made me a 3 kg discus with the same dimensions as a 2kg discus. That was in 1980 and he was 75 years old, so he is probably not around anymore. Perhaps Bud Held in Phoenix could make you one. Kettlebell exercises are good for building throwing power. I think throwing Atlas stones also help build throwing power for the discus.

Throwing power comes from the legs and hips. Most of us throw with our upper bodies, which contributes to aches and pains and poor performances.

Tom Fahey M60

Top Top

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:26 am

Master Masters Athlete

I read Dan John's book-lots of useful info-I have another question:

I have recently taken up the shot, mainly to get points in weight pentathalons-is the spin technique basically the same for this event (except for the carriage of the shot) or are there body and or footwork differences?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:23 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think the glide is probably best for someone who doesn't want to specialize in the shot and seeks to maximize points in the weight pentathlon. This is controversial, so it might get down to individual preference.

Top Top

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:49 am

Master Masters Athlete

I used to be a glide thrower (and I noticed that the olympic champion this year is a glider) but I never really liked the technique and the spin seems more my style-any tips for this vs. the discus spin?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:35 am

Master Masters Athlete

I tried to spin shot, but found it awfully difficult. It is not just discus without a discus...

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:48 am

Master Masters Athlete

I was a glide thrower with my left hand but I hurt my elbow so, being somewhat ambidextrous I switched to my right hand (which is the side I throw discus on) to get points for a weight pentathlon. Since I already was used to spinning on that side I just had to determine how to deliver the shot at the end. As long as I keep the shot tucked in until both of my feet are grounded it seems to go pretty well-I get only 3 feet from the turn but it is three more feet over a standing throw.

-

Top Top
  Profile WWW