masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:10 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I posted a question here a number of months ago...

http://www.masterstrack.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=828

...and thought I would give an update for anyone who cares. :-)

So I went out for my first track training session with my old club on Saturday. It was my first track practice since 1992, and my first sports conditioning practice since about 1996 (I have played soccer and hockey over the past 12 years but with only casual scrimmage practices). I had been, leading up to this first track practice, working out by way of weightlifting and running, including sets of stairs down the road from my house. I am now at 230lbs (6' 2"), but that reflects the loss of fat and the gain of some muscle. Well, here is my report: I have a renewed respect for track athletes and I am thankful to be alive. :shock: - Here's why:

It was a 2-hour conditioning session that started with a 5km "off-road" run from the stadium/track facility through a local rough-terrain treed park, and then back to the track. But within that 5km run were some steep inclines and declines as well as one monster incline and decline that demanded a shift from running to extreme hiking. In addition, at various points throughout the run, we stopped to do various sets of bounding exercises. We then ran back to the track and did 100m excelleration drills with push-ups, sit-ups, and a coordination exercise in-between each of the 5 reps. This was followed by 4 reps of run 300m, jog 100m. Needless to say, I was absolutely hammered (not drunk, but physically destroyed). At one point, after the first 5km run session, I could just barely feel my legs. (At a few points I had to walk as it was just too much for me). And this was just the first training session of the year. I pray it gets easier. :)

Anyway, that is my update. I will let you know how it progresses and fill you in on the results of my first time-trial.

:oops:

Cam

Top Top