masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:06 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

would anyone care to discuss 200 meter training. fall workouts and indoor season practice, etc.

Top Top

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I was an 800 runner in college, then ran a lot of road races after that. I returned to Masters track about two years ago at age 50. I still had some speed, so I ran the 400 mostly. Last winter I tried a few 200s and liked it, so that’s my focus for this indoor season. Since September, this has been my general pattern:
SUN: 3x150 (rest 3 minutes) 3x50
MON: a.m. full-court basketball for 75 minutes; p.m. yoga and weights
TUE: 3x300; 4-6 100-meter hills
WED: a.m. basketball; weights
THU: sprint 200, cruise 100, sprint 100. rest eight minutes. Repeat. Rest two minutes, sprint 100; p.m. yoga
FRI: a.m. basketball; weights
SAT: yoga and rest
For the past few weeks I’ve replaced the 300s with shorter sprints, like 4x120. I need to take advantage of having a clear track, because we usually have snow from December-March so I have to improvise a lot of my speedwork in the winter.
I do very long warm-ups, so there is some aerobic training in this, and the basketball is a good aerobic workout, too. The yoga is a real key; my flexibility is better than ever and I think it’s kept me from getting injured (much). My training pace is in the 20-second range for 150s and about 27.5 for the 200s (sometimes much slower). That’s close to an all-out sprint for me.

Top Top

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My training goes in cycles. In the off-season I do 5ks and some biking and mostly try to keep the winter weight off. Beginning in March I start doing speed workouts. Initially 1x/wk and mostly short (100s - 150s) and work up to 200m - 300m by April. I also begin speed workouts 2x/wk in April or may. I try to continue lifting 2x/wk as well.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:30 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Typically, from October through December, I stay off the track altogether. Focus on treadmill, elliptical and weights in the gym. My biggest mistake is that I don't do enough distance (road) running during the fall/winter season, so my base isn't as strong as it should be. By January, I jump back on the track and start with longer/slower interval work (800M to 300M), finishing off with 120-150m build ups. I still keep up in the gym with leg/chest/arm workouts. I don't start real speed work until February, and even that is only 1x week for about a month. By April, I taper down the distance and focus more on speed and speed endurance training.

My warm-ups take about as long as my workouts so I tend to stretch and jog a great deal (in hopes of injury prevention). Preferably, I don't start competing until April/May. But I may jump into some early season meets for training purposes,....and to watch others run past me!

Top Top

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Qtrmiler wrote:
Typically, from October through December, I stay off the track altogether. Focus on treadmill, elliptical and weights in the gym. My biggest mistake is that I don't do enough distance (road) running during the fall/winter season, so my base isn't as strong as it should be.

How about the weight question Qtrmiler? Have you found your bodyweight to be greater than it was when you were, say, in high school? Do you think your increased weight slows you down or does your added strength compensate for this?

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:33 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hey Byrke,
Hope that all is well with you and yours. Actually, my current weight is about the same it was back in high school (205lbs) which is a bit on the heavy side. Would love to drop 10 lbs to assist with speed, but I do think the added strength has helped to compensate a little. Still, I should be leaner. Like you, I had to come down from my "meathead" power lifting weight of 230lbs a few years back. Senior year in college I dropped from 210lbs (football) to 177lbs for the track season. That was hardcore training that I am unable to duplicate at my age.

Gonna give the Palm Desert Games a go on February 8th just for the fun of it (200/400). No expectations or set goals....just using it as a workout day so times won't be exciting. Not that they are anyway.....Talk at you soon....

Top Top

Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey bildap,

These guys have given some good advice, but it would help if you told your experience as a runner. I've approached the 200 from a pure speed angle when I mainly focused on the 100 and an endurance angle when focusing on the 400. The 200 is a different animal from either but I do like to run it. When I have good endurance it feels great to blast the curve and know you won't run out of gas at the end. I must say though, that for the last 10 years or so I've had to pace myself through the 1st 100 or someone will throw a piano on my back at the end.

Top Top

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:52 am

Senior Masters Athlete

strap a tire to you with a rope...run 4x250s..next day do 4x250s with no tire....good luck :lol:

Top Top