masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:30 am

Master Masters Athlete

As an aspiring multi-eventer I'd like to hear from anyone else who does multi events to hear what your training cycle looks like. Since I am learning at least 3 of the events I have a lot of drills and skill practice that maybe you don't need to do as often if you have experience.

I do try to double up sometimes, i.e train hurdles, then long jump but it's hard on my ankles after a while.

My goal is to be ready to do an indoor pentathlon. So how do you fit in hurdles, shot, LJ, HJ, and 800? I usually do weights on the skill days and circuits on the more metabolic days. And I do intervals twice a week.

I have about 1.5 hours availble and train "5-ish" times a week.

Thanks.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hi Kim--this is just how it worked out for me when I first began training for multis (pentathlon): I concentrated on 3 of the events to learn those as best I could and only learned the basics of the other two. The 800 meters doesn't really need technique, just endurance and a bit of speed. I practiced the hurdles and jumps and tried to keep up my endurance with a long run once a week. I barely touched the shot put; instead I left that as a training item for future competitions. I'm attempting to get back into multi-training this year, so my current training looks something like this: Speed work 1x week, hurdles 1x week, shot put 1x week, jumps 1x week. I also try to fit in a 3 mile run once a week. I do weights on my lunch hour on the days I do the shot put and the long run, so I double up twice a week. That translates into 5 workout days with 2 of those days as doubles.

Since this will be your first multi you may have to make the decision which events are your best for scoring the most points and spend most of your practice time on them. Use the spring and summer to shore up your weaker events while maintaining your strong ones. I found that if I scattered my energies too widely I would forget the lessons learned from earlier practices. Because of that my strategy was to concentrate on 1 or 2 events at a time, bring my performances up on those, then maintain them while tackling another.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing you in MD!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:32 am

Master Masters Athlete

My last multi is five years ago, many problems prevented me since then from sprinting. Normally I did two events per training of two hours or a bit less. Say half an hour warming up and exercises, three quarters high jump and the same for javelin.
Or half an hour long jump (which is sprinting more or less too) followed by half an hour running distances like 150m and 200m.
I mostly trained very specific, that is doing the real thing or something very close to it. A week is too short for old muscles to do much more serious sessions than 3 or 4.

Top Top
  Profile WWW