masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hi has anyone out there trained with these-there is a lot of interest in kettlebells these days but I wonder how much of that is hype. Is there something you can do with a kettlebell that you can't do with a dumbell?
They seem very expensive for what they are.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Dumbells will work for lifting type exercises (one arm snatch, etc), but it is hard to throw one. Kettle bells are much easier to throw than dumbells(my opinion). They seem expensive(considering it is a hunk of steel with a handle), but in my opinion have great value in training for some events. For the throws, I believe the strength you build from throwing kettle bells/puds has a much better transfer to throwing than standard gym lifting.

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Kettlebell exercises, such as swings and snatches, are highly ballistic. They load the thighs, hips, and abs, which is where we generate power in the throwing events. I have been doing kettlebell exercises for several years. My shoulders certainly feel better.

I didn't throw as far as I wanted last year. My coach gave me a pep talk the other day:

"To win the world championship, you need speed - you don't have it. And your knees can't take the pounding, so you can't do jump squats. And you got arthritis in your neck, and you've got calcium deposits on most of your joints, so 100 throw sessions are out. So, what we'll be calling on is good ol’ fashion horsepower. Heavy-duty, cast-iron, pile driving throws that will go so far that the officials will get winded trying to mark them. Every time you throw the discus, it's gotta leave your hand like the express train. Yeah! Let's start landing some monster throws!"

Top Top

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tom,

Got the same advice from a coach yesterday. I need to speed up my foot in the middle to make up for the lighter discus. I still can get faster, but this is going to take awhile.

Lots of KB stuff out there. Be on the alert for a new book in a couple of weeks. Tom knows both authors.

Top Top

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:06 am

Master Masters Athlete

I have been throwing the 25lb weight this winter-I'll see if that improves ability with the discus next spring. Also gives me something to do besides lifting.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Gary,

Are you by any chance related to one of them?

Top Top

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:54 am

Master Masters Athlete

So can I assume that Dan John is coming out with a book on kettlebell training?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Now I forget if it was all about KBs. But then, he is my younger brother, so who was listening.

I still prefer the coreblaster to KBs. Or my 35# weight for swings.
Cuz, to proud to pay for a cannonball with a handle.

Top Top

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:22 am

Master Masters Athlete

This is great timing. I walked into the "Y" last week and a guy was walking out all drenched in sweat, carrying a Kettle "Bell", as he called it. He was a young guy, looked to be late 20s, and a former Marine, and I quizzed him a little about it. He said that Kettle "Bell" training was a big part of the marine PT program. He was using a 50 pounder, which is clearly too big a load for me.

Question #1 is how do you go about determining what the proper weight should be for an individual? I would hate to go spend the money and get the wrong one. (I'm 55-59, not particularly strong, but my throwing distances aren't too embarrassing.) Is there some way of saying, your bench (or squat, or whatever) is X, so you should use a Kettle Ball that weighs Y?

Question #2. For those of you who have experience with them, what do you think of this as an inexpensive alternative? There are some weight plates out there with oval gaps spaced around the perimeter that are just about right for a hand grip. In fact, I imagine they are there to make them easier to pick up and handle. It seems to me that getting a 25# or 35# plate like that might be a good, cheaper substitute for a Kettle Ball. What do you experienced Kettle Ballers think?

Question #3. Pending the realease of the book RevGJ referred to, are there any websites out there that might have some good Kettle Ball routines in them?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:04 am

Master Masters Athlete

I looked up the info on the coreblaster. Until I can justify the $10 investment I found a way at my gym to do something similar for free. We have those solid dumbells with the rubberized weights at each end. I just grab one of these by one end and do the between the legs swings. I can't get too wild with it but I won't get injured either.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I have concentrated on technique during last year, only doing many throws (to my astonishment I calculated that I did some 2500 javelin throws last year, warm-up throws included). Now for a month I added some work in the gym. The weights I use are light, from the number of repetitions it follows whether they are too light or not.
I do simulated standing throws before the mirror (nice invention!) with a light dumbell, I now am on 4x15 repetitions with 2-1-2-1 kg. The light ones at full speed, the other ones more controlled.
I also do pull-overs with a dumbell in each hand. My left arm isn't able to bend as far as the right one, so a halter is out of the question. 3x10 repetitions, and more weight if it is too light. Don't laugh: I use 4 and 5 kg.
The rest is core stability, etcetera etcetera. And don't forget injury preventing stuff for the rotator cuffs, with very low weight.
I have never seen a kettleball and should not know what to do with for the jav.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

For KB routines, I googled kettlebell videos and found tons.

Dragondoor.com has a bunch of stuff.

Dumbbells work OK for swings, but I realize the $10 expense to make one sets people back.

Top Top