masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:38 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi folks. After an extended absence from T&F, I am dusting off the old javelin and hope to compete in some Masters events this summer. Living in the midwest has meant most of my training has been conducted indoors these past several months. I've begun some throwing drills (weighted balls and medicine balls) and have also stepped up my "core strength" training. I'm 55, six feet tall and weigh about 202 lbs. I would like to get down to 190 lbs. in order to pick up some speed. I am not planning to throw the javelin until April in order to increase my overall flexibility and increase my core strength. Any thoughts or ideas that I should consider adding to my indoor training for the next two months? One nice thing about getting older is that I can trade my 800 gram javelin in for a lighter model (700 grams)! Thanks.

Top Top

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:18 am

Master Masters Athlete

Have you thought of training with a turbo jav?
Here is a link to the turbo jav.

http://www.turbojav.com/Masters.html

I used to coach CYO track and they threw the turbo jav in competition.
It is shorter than the regular javelin and made of plastic, and it takes more control to throw it correctly.
I remember when one of the top local high school throwers where we practiced at asked to throw one. All of his friends gathered around to watch. He didn't throw it all that well, it had a lot of wobble. I thought at that point that practicing with one would help since it work out any imperfections out of the throw more than the regular length javelin.

But I am a runner, so what do I know? :wink:

The Oregon high school champion in the javelin a few years ago, came out of the CYO program, and learned on the turbo jav.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Great suggestion! I will look into purchasing the right model. I believe they come in different weights. Thanks!

Top Top

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think they only go up to 600 grams, but even at the lighter weight, they do help with the control.
I tried a regular javelin at one of my daughters track meets, and it seemed to me a lot easier to throw straight, but I know that it was masking my being unskilled in the event.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:10 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Even at 600 grams, it is only 100 grams less than the 700 gram javelin I must use in my age bracket. I like the idea that your throwing mechanics must be very good in order for the turbo jav to travel any distance. A regular javelin is more forgiving if your form is a bit off.

You may be a runner, but your recommendation is very welcome and appreciated. I wish I coud give you a running recomendation, but I just know how to pick up and throw things :)

Top Top

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It is a very good idea to work on flexibility etcetera first. But I would add something close to the real thing too, but with the remark to build up slowly. I started to really learn the jav at age 55 and this is my fourth winter. The building up existed of throwing balls of all weights in winter, weights from 400 to 1300 grams. Standing throws, then one step, three, five, seven.
Maybe I add more experiences tomorrow. By the way, I went from 22m in 2005 to 34.80 last summer (500g)! It is such a nice event!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:57 am

Master Masters Athlete

When it is really winter we do not throw outdoors, but as soon as temperatures are 5 degrees (Celsius) we pick up the javelins. Only short run-ups, but many throws. By the way, my shoulder flexibilty is much improved through the years, not by doing exercises but just by throwing the javelin.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:29 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Weia:

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems like speed and flexibility are the first things to go as we age. As such and to your point, I have been slowly building up my flexibility, not only in my shoulder, but my torso as well. Throwing the javelin puts so much stress on the midsection, that having a strong and flexible core is key to preventing injuries. Congratulations on your success in throwing the spear. You are an excellent example and role model for anyone that thinks they are too old for the throwing events. Heck, I received a black belt in karate last year at age 54! From martial arts back to track and field. You are only as old as you feel! :twisted:

Bill

Top Top

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:44 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I highly recommend the Javelin Forum II in the yahoo groups. Its an excellent javelin site. All kinds of support from throwers of all abilities and ages. Plus if you need implements, shoes, etc. it has lots of resources.

Good idea to start slowly. The older you are, the easier it is to hurt yourself.

Welcome back and THROW FAR!!

Top Top

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:46 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the tip on the Javelin Forum II! I will definitely check it out. Not easy finding age appropriate advice for javelin training. A lot of trial and error, with emphasis placed on "starting slowly".

Top Top

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

NMTraxter wrote:
I highly recommend the Javelin Forum II in the yahoo groups.

I can't find it...

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Hawkeyechucker wrote:
Weia:

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems like speed and flexibility are the first things to go as we age. As such and to your point, I have been slowly building up my flexibility, not only in my shoulder, but my torso as well. Throwing the javelin puts so much stress on the midsection, that having a strong and flexible core is key to preventing injuries. Congratulations on your success in throwing the spear. You are an excellent example and role model for anyone that thinks they are too old for the throwing events. Heck, I received a black belt in karate last year at age 54! From martial arts back to track and field. You are only as old as you feel! :twisted:

Bill

I know memory is the second thing to go , but I could never remember the first. Thanks for filling me in.

Top Top

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:39 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Now that the snow has finally melted, I went out into my backyard last night and threw my old 800 gram javelin a few times from a stranding position (no runup). Although I got the darn thing out there about 30 meters, my form was awful. Sidearming it instead of pulling the spear over my head. Forgot how much time I need to spend working on proper technique over the next few months. Decided to quit after about six throws so as to not blow out my shoulder. Also discovered that I need to spend more time developing my shoulder flexibility. Strength is there, but technique and flexibility are not! Back to the training room...

Top Top

Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:30 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Does anyone know the required weight for a javelin for the Masters 45-49 age division?

I'm a newbie to the event (200M/400M runner) and will be taking on the daunting Heptathlon next year and need to learn this event. I've compted in the past in both the Shot Put and High Jump, but the javelin is a new animal to me.

Any training/equipment suggestions are certainly welcome. Much appreciated!

T.C. (6'2" 205lbs; 44 yrs old)

Top Top

Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

800 gram. same as open class.

Top Top
  Profile WWW