masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Disjointed early spring. Battling flooding, so a lot of heavy lifting with Sandbags for the last month. Wrenched lower back. Healed about 75%. Speed workouts - I did a bit too much too early. Hamstring issues. Not serious, but I have been a bit dumb about getting healed 100% Try to do a speed workout after 4 or 5 days - re injure (or aggravate).

Best speed workout I've completed is 6 or 7 x 200 meter at about 32 to 30 seconds. It is HARD for me to do a 30 second 200 during the course of a workout. Pain in the hamstring prevents me from getting a really nice full stride.

Did a competitve 5k today. road race with hills. 22 min's. THis also was pretty hard on the lungs and fatigue was an issue. Hammy was a background pain nuisance, but the speed needed to do a 5 k was so low that it was not a factor in my opinion. . I had gas left in the tank, but a I doubt 21 min's or lower is int he cards right now.

I had hoped to be doing a full bore time trial 400 meter per week by now. But have not done one for over a month now. Probably at least 2 weeks away from it - and that is if I give my legs a good 10 to 14 days rest to heal the hammy. That of course sets me back on wind and stamina (in my opinion). So - what to do.

Top Top

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Steady wins the race, slow & steady. Readjust expectations as things play out.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Fri May 08, 2009 1:43 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Glen - sorry to hear you are having a tough spring, I was struggling earlier but coming good now.

Did a good 400m time trial yesterday - 59.5s - more than 5secs improvement from the middle of March. Also did 100m in 12.8s - about the same as in March but I had begun to doubt if my March time was real, as it looked too good.

Now thinking about what I'll do for the summer. Looking at my 100m time - it rates 81% on the WMA age-gradings where the 400m time is a bit lower 79% - so maybe I should focus on the shorter distances this year to work on my speed and move up to 400 next year. Any comments appreciated?

In any case, I will run a local 100m later this month. Good to do a proper race and get an official time. Hopefully some of the younger guys will pull me along to a good time!

Top Top

Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

dna:

Nicely Done! 59.5 is a big move - and a nice 400 meter time for a Master. Are you numbing up and fatigued in that last 100 meters?

I have let the Hammy heal up (partially) - and moved slowly back into training. I am training at a fairly high level again (for me). Probably back to where I was in about Feb or so. Slipped out of shape further than I wanted, but not too far. The weather has turned enough, so I can work out outside, virtually any day I wish to. What a treat!

Last two time trials have been 62.9 and 62.1. I really pushed and numbed up on both of them. Did another 5k tonight at 22.09.

On the bright side, my timer (my son) shouted out my 200 meter split at 28.5 on my last time trial. So, while my last 200 meter was a pathetic exercise in carrying a bear on my back, I am starting to get a little bit of speed back.

Anyway, I feel great. Weight has stayed steady in the 150 to 154 pound range for almost a year now. I am becoming less interested in the competition - but mostly that's because I am not seeing sub 60 in the cards for the future. I will continue to shoot for that and see if I can lower it.

Good Luck dna at your 100 meter race. I am very interested to hear your progression.

Top Top

Sat May 23, 2009 7:23 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks Glen,

I am absolutely struggling in the last 100m, just trying to hold my form and keep pushing. My 200m split for that 59.5 was 27.9s so if I get even pacing, I should do a 58s, maybe.

My 100m race time was 12.8 again (unfortunately only hand timed), and 3rd place after a bad start - think I can get to 12.5s with some more speed work, then push on to a good 200 & 400. That's the plan at the moment, but I'll keep an open mind.

Good you are approaching full fitness again. Do you find the 5K's help your 400m plans or is it just that you enjoy them? I have decided to put my 5Ks on hold until September as I can't train well for both.

Top Top

Tue May 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

dna

On Running 5 k's. I figure that building and maintaining some reasonable speed over 2 or 3 mile run should be helpful. I think I am building a more hardy cardiovascular system. But I agree that the major piece is doing quality speed workouts.

Top Top

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:44 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I have finally settled into the "training" routine I had hoped to accomplish in April. About 60 days behind "schedule" One good, long (3 miles or so) run per week. One or Two quality speed workouts per week, and one time trial per week. And doing some upper body strengthening 3 times a week).

I am suprised at how difficult it is to have a good quality speed work out. I need to warm up significantly (a mile of jogging and a lot of stretching is not enough - I need some additional slow running time and some practice acceleration sprints to get my self where I can produce 2 or 3 quality 200 meters with nearly full recovery. Otherwise I am stiff, sore, tight and just don't feel right "opening it up".

None the less, I am seeing a bit of improvement. My full out 200 times have dropped from the mid 29's to 28.2 and 28.1 last night. I am a bit shocked at how fast I FEEL I am running - and yet the actual times reveal how SLOW I am. I THINK I have good form (My 19 year old son who is an accomplished HS runner with very good looking form and a few 400 times at 50 flat and a state championship in the 300 hurdles) tells me my form is OK and improving.

My recent 400 meter time trials continue to hover just above 60. (60.3, 60.7. 60.1). So, I will continue to plug along with the goal of getting that number into the 59's consistently. But I feel I have hit a plateau and that barrier is pretty tough for me. I could be much more dedicated and spend more time at this, but I am not motivated to do so. Also, I have been terrible at delaying and avoiding the uper body work out stuff.

Top Top

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:44 am

Master Masters Athlete

Speed is what you need, my friend, IMHO. Short repeats of 60 meters or less with 3-6 minutes rest, running at 95% or better. This will help your 200 times which will in turn help your 400 times. It is difficult to break 60 in the quarter if you can't break 28 in the 200. Usually, best 200 meter time plus one second for first 200 meters in the 400, then an additional 3-4 seconds for the second 200 meters, which means a best of 28.0 in the 200 equals (28.0 + 1 = 29 + (29+3) = 61) a 61 second 400.

Top Top

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Louie, I like that formula for 400 time. It is one that actually seems to work. My best 200 last season was 24.5, so 25.5 + 28.5 = 54.0. My best 400 last season was 54.00. Cool!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:33 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I wish I could say that I invented that formula, but I think I stole it from Clyde Hart or another world-class coach from one of the clinics I've attended over the years. I know it was from someone with some legit credentials.
If you are more of an 800/mile guy dropping down to the 400, you can run a little more even splits. It also gives you an idea if you are going out too fast or too slow - not perfect (except in your example!), but a good guide.

Top Top

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Glen Bruhschwein wrote:
I have finally settled into the "training" routine I had hoped to accomplish in April. About 60 days behind "schedule" One good, long (3 miles or so) run per week. One or Two quality speed workouts per week, and one time trial per week. And doing some upper body strengthening 3 times a week).

I am suprised at how difficult it is to have a good quality speed work out. I need to warm up significantly (a mile of jogging and a lot of stretching is not enough - I need some additional slow running time and some practice acceleration sprints to get my self where I can produce 2 or 3 quality 200 meters with nearly full recovery. Otherwise I am stiff, sore, tight and just don't feel right "opening it up".

None the less, I am seeing a bit of improvement. My full out 200 times have dropped from the mid 29's to 28.2 and 28.1 last night. I am a bit shocked at how fast I FEEL I am running - and yet the actual times reveal how SLOW I am. I THINK I have good form (My 19 year old son who is an accomplished HS runner with very good looking form and a few 400 times at 50 flat and a state championship in the 300 hurdles) tells me my form is OK and improving.

My recent 400 meter time trials continue to hover just above 60. (60.3, 60.7. 60.1). So, I will continue to plug along with the goal of getting that number into the 59's consistently. But I feel I have hit a plateau and that barrier is pretty tough for me. I could be much more dedicated and spend more time at this, but I am not motivated to do so. Also, I have been terrible at delaying and avoiding the uper body work out stuff.

Hi Glen - my experience from the past month is that getting out and competing will bring out the best in your performances.

In early May, my 400m time was 59.5s in a time trial, last week I ran 56.3s and in the meantime I have brought my 100m & 200m times down too - particularly happy with my 25.6s 200m.

Training has been going pretty well, just 3 days a week, with no real upper body or core work. As you know, my approach has been from quantity to quality over the past months. I also find that I need a long warm up before starting a fast session, but I think the important thing is to find out what works for you.

For me I think speed drills have been good at helping my form, are you doing some. Also I saw a video of my recent 200m race and that has helped me identify areas to improve, mainly my upper body & core strength which I already knew about - in the video, my upper body was all over the place in the final 50m but my leg action was still ok.

I am not sure how much more improvement I can make this year (maybe under 56 for the 400m) but my biggest learning was to go out an compete. It takes a bit of a push to get out there and put yourself on the line but you will get the rewards. My advise is to find a local low-key event, and move from toying with the idea to finding out what you can do!

DN

Top Top

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Wow, in the 56's! Way to go dna!

I appreciate the pep talk and advice thrown my way in your last post. You are right that a competition on the horizon would probably focus my training and get me motivated. I am grateful to get the anecdots about speed training seeming to really pay off.

59.88 in my last time trial. Numbed up and slogged through the last 70 meters.

Keep truckin.

Top Top

Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:20 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Definitely try to mix in shorter, faster workouts, but do these only maybe once a week at first, and don't over-do it.

In December, I ran a 60.9 indoors and then focused on the 800 for a while. Part of it was hamstring issues. Typical workouts were 3x600 or 600, 350, 200, 200, 200.

I needed more speed, and was frustrated with the 30 second barrier in the 200 repeats, so I started to do 350, 200, 200, 4x100, 50. Finally, I inched under 30 in some 200's.

I ran a 58.2 in my first outdoor meet (April), but had a nagging problem with my psoas, which completely blew up by the Penn Relays and I had to hang it up for the rest of the outdoor season this year.

Still, I was happy that I was able to run a 58.2. Part of it is due to some of the masters I run with - both in training and in racing. I don't think I would've gone out as hard as I did if it wasn't for my masters buddies running that first 200 as hard as they did.

So, now, I'm at long distance building base, getting all that scar tissue loosened up, and will probably go back to some speed work in September. This time, I'll mix in 100's and 50's much earlier in my training, but still have the general quantity to quality progression.

Top Top

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:47 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Glen,
Congrats on getting below 60 in the 400. Lots of good advice here on the forum to help you go even faster. There are a few details that I would like to share that have really changed my training and success in running.
#1) Avoid injury (when in doubt leave it out) If you are questioning doing just one more interval or there is a slight twinge in your leg and you figure you can gut it out for just one more 200 meter interval...DON"T DO IT. Leave it out.

#2) Make gradual increases in intensity AND duration....Well what is gradual???? Never increase intensity OR duration by more than 10% AND never increase both intensity and duration at the same time. That will equal injury.

#3) Workout for 2 weeks with gradual increases Then...on the 3rd week of your training cycle cut back on everything by 30% to 50%. This is your rest recovery week.

The key to success in racing at our age is to avoid injury at all costs...even if it means doing one less interval and holding to gradual increase in duration and intensity.
Hope this helps. All these posts are excellent in their advice. You are going to see big gains in your sprinting so enjoy it all.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I'm taking a break. My hammy continues nagging me.

Finally broke through and ran a few 200's under 28 in practice. That 28 barrier was very hard to finally crack. Been trying for months. Hammy acted up - and hurt to just walk several days later. After a week of gradual stuff I did a 400 meter time trial last week and had to dig really really deep to go 60.03. Hammy is a real problem. my wife (timing me) said that I looked lopsided running. I have not said anything to her about the hammy, so the fact she noticed suprised me. Next few days was pretty painful. I don't think I have any permanent damage ; just inflamation. But I cannont shake this.

So. I will do cardio on the bike. and slow miles for running. A lot of flexibility and stretching. I will hit the upper body weights (doing much better in the last month. I am using some of the time I would have devoted to speed work). No "bulking up". But I am so pathetically small and weak up top, I need to build a little shoulder and arm muscle. I am taking a break from the speed and the time trials. I will settle with what I got this summer. get the hammy back on board and try again later. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probalby post back here in the late fall.

Just a comment. I feel absolutely great compared to where I was 2 years ago. Cholestoral is way way down. I look and feel so much better. I was able to handle a very stressful situation at work over the last year with very little trouble sleeping. This track training stuff is great - life altering for me actually.

dna: I wish you the best of luck. Hope you go sub 56 soon. Please don't get injured.

Top Top