masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:18 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Glenn,
Injuries really suck. I find most age group/masters guys over do things when it comes to training. Hardest thing is to not continually "test" the injury and let it heal once and for all. Deep water running is great as a way to continue to "run" and maintain some running specific fitness without further injuring your leg. Check out this video for an example of deep water running. http://tinyurl.com/63k9ea

I am a old sprinter who went into triathlon racing and am now wanting to go back to sprinting again. I have no idea where my times will fall. One thing I learned in triathlon is how to listen to my body and avoid injury. I find holding back just a bit on things is really the hardest thing to do. Keep me updated. I will probably post on here as I begin to explore where I fall in the 100-400 meters when it comes to time...but my main goal is to stay healthy and report to every race injury free....even if that means I am a little undertrained.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:40 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Glen Bruhschwein wrote:
I'm taking a break. My hammy continues nagging me.

Finally broke through and ran a few 200's under 28 in practice. That 28 barrier was very hard to finally crack. Been trying for months. Hammy acted up - and hurt to just walk several days later. After a week of gradual stuff I did a 400 meter time trial last week and had to dig really really deep to go 60.03. Hammy is a real problem. my wife (timing me) said that I looked lopsided running. I have not said anything to her about the hammy, so the fact she noticed suprised me. Next few days was pretty painful. I don't think I have any permanent damage ; just inflamation. But I cannont shake this.

So. I will do cardio on the bike. and slow miles for running. A lot of flexibility and stretching. I will hit the upper body weights (doing much better in the last month. I am using some of the time I would have devoted to speed work). No "bulking up". But I am so pathetically small and weak up top, I need to build a little shoulder and arm muscle. I am taking a break from the speed and the time trials. I will settle with what I got this summer. get the hammy back on board and try again later. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probalby post back here in the late fall.

Just a comment. I feel absolutely great compared to where I was 2 years ago. Cholestoral is way way down. I look and feel so much better. I was able to handle a very stressful situation at work over the last year with very little trouble sleeping. This track training stuff is great - life altering for me actually.

dna: I wish you the best of luck. Hope you go sub 56 soon. Please don't get injured.

Glen,

Well done on your improvement so far, its always good to look back with satisfaction on the work and results.

I too have finished my season now. I did not get sub 56 this year but I did get a 25.15 200m (without injury) which sets me up well for the future.

I will take a break now and do some aerobic work while I figure out plans for next year - whether to try some indoor events this winter and decide which events to focus on, 400m or shorter.

Enjoy your training and come back stronger.

Top Top

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Nice stories ..,Some of it contains the things that I am looking.,I am so thankful that I read this thread.,

Top Top

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I ran the 400m in high school and two years in college. Fastest split in High School was 48.1. Fastest time before quitting after my sophomore year in college: 48.0. Very competitive in the NAIA system. I feel with stricter training and better workout with weights I could have knocked much more time off by the time I left college. Things change though, I got married after my sophomore year in college and, well, here I am at 47 thinking about running more seriously again.

My wife participates in a 5k walk/run for her job once a year and last year I walked it with her. Her goal is to run it this year. We started the "Couch to 5k workout" in preparation for this. While I haven't run for years, this workout is very easy for me, but I'm surprised at how good it feels to have started running again. My wife has never run and I started this to be an encouragement to her, but it's great doing this together.

At this point we are walking 400 meters, jogging 1600 meters and repeating that. Today she/we ran the 1600 meters in 11:44 and 11:56. Now keep in mind we only began this about five weeks ago. I wasn't winded at all and I told my wife the memories this brought back. She said, "Why don't you run a 400 meter and let me time you?" To be honest, I didn't want to. But thought, "What could it hurt?". I figured if I could run it in 90 sec. I would be happy. I haven't tried running like that for approx. 15 years. So I ran it and really picked up the pace the last 60 meters or so and finished in 74 sec. I had a lot of energy left and felt I could have gone quite a bit faster.

Now, I realize that this is hardly record breaking speed, but for what little running I've done I was quite surprised at how good I felt. So now I'm considering training more seriously and seeing what I can do.

It's been so long since I've trained I have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Pastor roc. I think you ought to go for it re: running/racing the 400. It'll do wonders for your health and vigor. As for what to do training-wise try doing a search on this site. There are many threads about training for the 400.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:51 am

Junior Masters Athlete

BMo wrote:
Hey Pastor roc. I think you ought to go for it re: running/racing the 400. It'll do wonders for your health and vigor. As for what to do training-wise try doing a search on this site. There are many threads about training for the 400.

I'm seriously considering it. The other night my wife and I ran one mile, walked 1/8 mi. and ran another mile. After that I timed myself in a 400. I had forgotten to take my keys out of my pocket and was trying to grab them and toss them to my wife as I began. I ended up running it in 106.5. 8-seconds faster than the first time I tried it. I have done NO speed work whatsoever up to this point and have only been jogging with my wife for about 9-weeks. I'm actually quite surprised at how good I feel and am looking forward to training more seriously.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:42 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Nice time Pastor, it looks like you have developed some endurance. I think you should put some 400 training in before you do a second time trail.

Carnegie

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:57 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

The 400 taps special energy systems. You must "get" this to run it well. You must learn to not only forestall the build up of lactic acid, you must learn to use it for fuel. The science is messy, but practice is easy: make sure you do one workout a week in which you run 98% plus (not kidding) for pieces of 25-45 seconds. One workout of 6 x 40 seconds of basically top speed (slowing as you go, but only because you can't go any faster) once a week, has consistently taken 3 seconds off the HS 400 runners I have coached -- in an 8 week season.

When I coach it, I have them jog 2:20 and sprint 0:40, so they are sprinting 40 seconds of every 3 minutes. The whole workout is WARM UP + stretching + 18 minutes + cool down. The shortest workout of the week.

Were I you, I'd start with 25-30 second sprints (with a gentle accelerating 5 seconds and decelerating 5 seconds) to avoid injury. And give yourself 3:30 rest instead of 2:20. But build up. The rule of thumb is 40+ seconds of top speed running builds alactic power. Ther is no substitute for it.

Top Top