masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:51 am

Junior Masters Athlete

After I turned 50 I decided to get in shape, and started working out at the gym. I got a trainer who pushed me harder than I wanted to work, and after a time began to compete against myself for new personal bests at each lift I did.

The competition inspired me to try olympic weightlifting, which was difficult to learn but I did seem to have the body for it - powerful legs and back, but not the chest and arms of a bodybuilder. I am competitive in my 55-59 age group and really enjoy competition. I found a really good coach and that is necessary for the technical lifts. It has made me young again. I train mostly with Olympic lifts, together with f/b squats and deadlifts. My flexibility has improved greatly, and I need to keep working on it.

I recently decided to expand my activities to include field events. I have been throwing the shot and discus, and trying to learn the form from youtube. I got the shotput to 10m quickly, but try as I might I am stalled out. The 6 kg shot sure feels heavier than that! I know the problem is form - I don't think I am getting the explosiveness I experience in the snatch into the throw. I guess I need to find a coach.

I wonder though, if there are specific strength issues I should be targeting in the weight room? I read that some throwers do heavy cheat curls, so I added those, although my definition of heavy (34kg) is probably not what they had in mind. Anyone have any views on where weightlifters are deficient in strength for throws?

Top Top

Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:21 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Although I'm not a thrower, It was a the legendary "Brian Oldfield" who I admired as a child, that contributed to the way I compete. This guy was absolutely amazing and a fierce, albiet "cocky" athlete. But hey, he sure backed up his antics in the pit! This is a great sport and will most certainly fuel and keep your competitive nature. I would think Brian has some technique and training books available if you did a web search. Anyhow, good luck, keep training, keep us posted as you go and welcome to the wonderful world of track and field!

Top Top

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:06 am

Senior Masters Athlete

As far as weight room lifting for the throws, here are my basics:

Power/Hang Snatch
Power/Hang Clean
Dead lift
Front Squat
Step Ups
Front & back jerks
Core work- twists, etc.
Some flat & incline bench for discus/shot.

I very rarely do the power snatch and clean from the floor - I do them from blocks (9-10" for me) which removes some stress from the lower back. Same reason I have replaced back squats with step-ups.

But remember, the weight room is the smallest factor in throwing far. Technique is far and away the biggest factor; then you have specific event special strength(like overweight implements and kettlebells); athleticness (sprinting and jumping/plyometrics) and then the weight room.

As far as learning the events there are some good video's out there. The ones that stand out for me are the John Powell and Mac Wilkins discus videos, and the Brian Oldfield and Al Feuerbach shot videos.

VIDEO TAPE YOURSELF - THIS COULD BE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR THROWING. YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT POSITIONS YOU ARE IN AND HOW IT CORRELATES TO HOW YOU FEEL DURING THE THROW. This will help you coach yourself and you can use these clips to get coaching advice - while there are many out there helping for free, there are some good "internet" coaches available for fee's that are really reasonable.

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Just find some other master throwers and throw. You'll pick up a lot more than spending time with a coach. I know this world class coach, but every time I work with him, I forget it the next practice.

Your oly work is more than enough.

Top Top

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:35 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I am also primarily an olympic weightlifter who does throwing on the side. I know what you mean about not feeling the explosiveness of a snatch in your throws. To some degree, because the implements are so light, I don't think you ever will. My best throws feel almost effortless. Snatches at any weight never do.

The main thing missing from an olympic lifter's training as far as throws are concerned is rotational core work. In o-lifting, we get a lot of core stabilization work, but not much else.

Learning the technique of the throws has one very big advantage over learning the o-lifts. There is no minimum speed required for a successful throw. Go as slow as you need to in order to hit the positions and achieve the balance you need. Speed it up only when you are getting it right almost every time.

Are you going to be at Masters Nationals in April?

Top Top

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

To Weasel and Carl:

I'm primily a track and field athlete (multi-eventer including the throws) who just started olympic weightlifting 4 months ago. I got into olympic weightlifting because I'm planning to go to the World Masters Games in Sydney and wanted to do another sport beside track and field, so weightlifting seemed interesting. I'm not great at those olympic lifts, but have managed to make the qualifying total for Sydney (as the weightlifting there is also the World Masters for weightlifting, which requires a qualifying total).

I'm interested to hear who else may be going to the Sydney worlds from North America to compete in Masters weightlifting. Know of anybody?

I'm finding weightlifting interesting, and beneficial as cross training for the explosive track and field events. I know my vertical jump has already improved since I started olympic weightlifting.

Weasel, as a new thrower I'd recommend you get a coach. Join a local club and get some coaching in the basics. Like in olympic weightlifing, technique is very important and working with a coach is beneficial in learning technique and not picking up bad habits. Of coach, throwing with other masters trowers is beneficial too, as they understand what it is to be an older thrower.

One final note on masters weightlifting: the comaradie is great!

Top Top