masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I have started and stopped for the last 3 yrs. This yr. I started at 245# and am now down to 232 in 3 wks. I have been lifting 4-5Xs/wk and walking 6 days. I would like to run 100-200m by next yr. or sooner. Any thoughts on what I should be doing? Did do some treadmill runs of about 1 min with equal walk for rest. I know that I need to drop the wght. before I get back to trying to run fast. Pls help. Words of encouragement acceptd

Top Top

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

You might try jogging in the pool. It's easy on the joints and helps break up the monotony of just walking.

R.Henderson

Top Top

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:29 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I am in exactly the same boat you are. I started this time at 263 and am now down to 233 and would like to loose another 40-50. The biggest thing it to make realistic goals that you can achieve and when you do move on o the next one. I thought I could be running a 100 or 200 in a year or earlier but the truth is it will be closer to 2 years before I will be able to run competativly. My first goal is to be able to run a 5K with my 3 boys in April, although that has nothing to do with speed but it is a goal I can achieve and while training for it I am loosing the weight. Good Luck and stay with it.

Top Top

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

Master Masters Athlete

Dropping the excess weight will make your training much easier on your joints and connective tissues. You may also try the elliptical machine in your gym. If you set it at a high enough resistance level you can get a great workout that will compliment your weight training, and it's low impact too. I'd recommend working on your flexibility as well as strength and aerobic training. Don't forget core work...sprinters need strong core muscles in order to maintain good form. Planks, crunches, and bridges are effective. Take it slow but be consistent and you'll progress! Best of luck to you!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thks for the advice. I have been walking on the flat and the treadmill for 3-4 miles per day six days/wk. Sometimes on the tradmill I will jog for a minute at a time . Its easier on the joints then flat running. I have been lifting quite a bit and have thought about the P90X workouts to suppliment my training. Any additional thoughts.

Top Top

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Just turning 62 and needed to spice up my 2mile walk once or twice a day. My wght is leveling off so I thought I might add variety to the walk. After warm up on 1/2 mile, I started jogging 1 light pole and walking 2 for the rest of the way. Went a toatl of 2 1/2 miles and 15 jogs (light poles are about 65 m apart) and felt pretty good. Don't plan on doing this more than 2-3 Xs/wk. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Top Top