masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:15 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I have been training since 1/09 and have lost 30 pounds to date and want to loose 30-40 more. I am in Minnesota and doing the bike riding and running in doors on a stationary bike and tread mill. I have gotten to the point that my motivation is waining. I have tried more music, no music, watching TV etc and have a hard time finishing my work out and it is increasingly harder to get excited about working out. The weight loss has been a motivation till now but I don't know why I have fallen into this funk. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. :lol:

Top Top

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:14 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

First off, congratulations on the remarkable weight loss. As for motivation, try varying your workouts more. Intense circuit training, or free weights, or sometimes going swimming, or playing b-ball, etc, can all assist you in getting back, expand your fitness capability, and help keep you fresh. A couple of days off now and then that are planned for alternative activity like hiking or tennis, or even bowling will work for recovery (mental and physical) as long as you get back after the planned time off.
Good luck. We all hope to see you on the track in coming months and years.
Bill

Top Top

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:19 am

Master Masters Athlete

Maybe a goal helps also. Without a goal (year bests, bench press, records on real athletic disciplines or on just a course near home) I find it difficult to do the same tning again and again.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:19 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I agree with Weia, You need a goal of some sort to keep motivated, whereas weightloss is a great goal. I also think an athletic goal can help

Constant indoor training can also be tough, but perhaps either a distance run or if possible a track work out in addition to the indoor stuff,

I know Minnesota winters are brutal, but maybe you can get a day that may be less harsh,. pick that one and go outside.

Whether it is targeting a meet, with a time, or maybe even a local road race (if there isn't a meet for a while) or even a time trial can help.

I always need a goal to train for something, otherwise I wind up missing workouts, sleeping in and gaining weight and not being in the best shape...

Keep at it !

Top Top

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

bill wrote:
First off, congratulations on the remarkable weight loss.

For sure! :)
As for getting motivated, my vote is for you going to a gophers track meet. Or even a local HS meet. That frequently works for me. In fact, I went to the Oregon Ducks "preview" meet this past weekend and I left totally pumped to train!! Unfortunately I have to hold off another week since I tore my medial meniscus, but...

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Is there anyone you can train with? Having a partner really helps.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:42 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I totally agree with everything you guys are saying about goals and I have one. I want to run a 5k in April with my 3 boys and am getting close to doing it on the tread mill. My oldest son is in college track and I have taken in a few of the meets and my middle son just started their indoor season as well and I have been at both of those meets so I know what you mean by getting pumped to train just by watching them. I can't wait to get outside and run on the HS track but the weather has just not worked out yet. I have no one (that my wife will let me work out with :wink: ) to help motivate me so I will have to keep dragging my sorry, fat, out of shape butt into the gym till the weather breaks.

Top Top