masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:54 am

Junior Masters Athlete

At present I am a 2:19 800 meter runner and 47 years old come April 4, 2009. In my youth I was a 4:16 miler. I am looking for any suggestions on what to concentrate on be it fartlek or intervals or etc. etc. in order to get close to that goal of a 5:00 minute mile. Presently I am a 5:22 miler. My problems always come around during the 3rd lap. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Top Top

Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I think it is safe to say there isn't one single answer to that question. Personally, I've found I do a lot better with more mileage and less intervals than I did when I was younger. My body just can't handle the speed work or as many hard days a week as it used to, but volume isn't an issue. I've been surprised how fast I can race off more mileage, but less speed.

But some people thrive off intervals, so a lot depends on how you are wired. Since you ran a 4:16 mile, you must have a good idea what kind of training works for you. How you like to train is as important as anything, as it gets you out there training consistently. You will need some speed component (intervals or hills or fartlek) and some tempo/LT work, to there are a lot of ways to mix that together. But as I mentioned, the adjustment for age I would make is to put a little more focus on easy mileage and less on hammering on the track all the time as maybe you did when you were a youth.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed May 27, 2009 7:24 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Mpotter, try running more speed - endurance workouts this summer and winter. I have a Master training program, I made over the last five years that works great for me and the runners I train. I have not run a mile race outdoors this year, but I have run for, a 3:08.00 1200 at a meet this year.

Joe Carnegie

Top Top
  Profile WWW