masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:16 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

After doing well in road races and x-country, I am getting ready for the track. Please, those of you who are 50-ish advanced 800m-5K track runners, what type of spikes do you suggest? I've tried on Nike Zoom models used by the younger guys - model names Victory, Matumbo and Mamba. Compared to spikes of yesteryear, amazingly light and seemingly way to narrow unless that is a new approach. But is the lack of cushion and structure generally regarded as detrimentally unfavorable for the 50-ish gang? Are there alternative thicker and no doubt cheaper models which are favored? Or can most of us, with gradual acclimation on home rugs, grass, and the track, adjust to use the light ones? Thanks for any insights based on experience.

Top Top

Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:48 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Even though I am not an 800m + runner I run in middle distance spikes as they have a great cushioned heel for my 57 year old feet! The Brooks Surge is a fine spiked shoe and weighs only 6.2 ounces (size 9 w/spikes). They have been on sale at www.firsttothefinish.com recently for under $20 depending on size selected. There is also a sale going on at www.dickpondathletics.com until April 4. Any middle distance or distance shoe will have extra padding on the sole and these two websites can make them very affordable. Just thought I should share the info as I bought the red/white/blue surge shoes recently for my high school kids for $14.95, and they retail for about $60.00!

Top Top

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I'm a hurdler and I also run in mid-distance spikes because the extra cushion I get goes a long way toward keeping my feet and joints happy. I really like Saucony shoes. Both the Velocity Middle Distance and the Endorphin Middle Distance models work well for me, and sometimes you can find them on sale for cheap...I've found them on www.eastbay.com for $20.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:23 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Last year, I tried to run in spikes, but I has calf issues in the race I ran in. So I moved from the nike zoom cross country spikes to the sacouny fast twitch endurance racing flats. They are pretty much light weight. Since I race the 800 and up, I don't see the need for spikes, unless the track is wet. I bought my son some nike mutmbo spikes. They are only 3 or so ounces, and look like good cushioning. Since we wear the same size, I think I will try them once, to see if I can run in spikes again. If I can't, I will probably return to the flats once again. There are some nice light weight facing flats that have a lot of cushioning on the market today.

Top Top

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:47 am

Master Masters Athlete

I wear an x-c spike on the track for races from 800-5k. I never train in spikes but I do train on the track wearing spikeless x-c shoes once a week. I like the fact that the Nike Jana series for women actually fit my feet - unlike shoes made for men, and that they now have some very light weight ones. I just ordered a pair and will see if the ligher weight spikes takes seconds off my time LOL
The cushioning is not a problem for me as I am not racing that often. I have tried middle distance spikes with a plastic plate and those just kill my feet. X-C shoes do not use the plastic spike plate.
I also use the omni-lite spikes and not the metal ones. It is not an issue of the weight of the metal spikes but the omni-lite do not feel as if they are digging holes in the bottom of my forefoot. It is probably all in my head - but my feet seem to like the combination of the Jana and the non-metal spike.

Top Top

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Clay,
adidas has a spike called the adiZero Cadence, basically a well-cushioned racing flat with spikes. Mesh upper. Snug fit. Perforated insole for breathability. Full-length EVA midsole. And it's still under 6 or 7 oz., depending on your size. Not cheap ($100), maybe hard to find. I'm thinking of getting a pair for races when I want a little more than my well-used Nike Milers between me and the track.
Using cross country spikes is also a good suggestion.
Good luck.

Top Top

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:01 am

Junior Masters Athlete

runfast70 wrote:
I wear an x-c spike on the track for races from 800-5k. I never train in spikes but I do train on the track wearing spikeless x-c shoes once a week. I like the fact that the Nike Jana series for women actually fit my feet - unlike shoes made for men, and that they now have some very light weight ones. I just ordered a pair and will see if the ligher weight spikes takes seconds off my time LOL
The cushioning is not a problem for me as I am not racing that often. I have tried middle distance spikes with a plastic plate and those just kill my feet. X-C shoes do not use the plastic spike plate.
I also use the omni-lite spikes and not the metal ones. It is not an issue of the weight of the metal spikes but the omni-lite do not feel as if they are digging holes in the bottom of my forefoot. It is probably all in my head - but my feet seem to like the combination of the Jana and the non-metal spike.

nice, i mean you the right choice about the plastic spike plate it much better because it more suitable for you

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:36 am

Master Masters Athlete

I asked what shoes Kevin Forde what shoes he was wearing in the picture of him when he recently ran a 4:32 mile featured in Ken Stone's post titled "Kevin Forde clocks 4:32 mile after insane first lap in Philly", and he responded that he loves his Saucony Kilkenny's which he as worn since '07. They seem a little heavier at 7.6 oz. than the addidas mentioned before, but they look like they are built like a road racing flat with a lot more cushioning than most cross country spikes I have searched on line.

Here is a link for them at $29.99

Saucony Grid Kilkenny XC2 Spike

Old Man PR's (40 - 49 --- 800 - 2:05 / 1500 - 4:28 ) (50 - 54 --- 800 - 2:18 / 5000 - 18:23 / 10K 38:45 / 1/2 Marathon 1:29 / Marathon 3:23)

Top Top
  Profile WWW