masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:48 am

Junior Masters Athlete

After two years off, I will join the group that makes the journey to Lahti this summer. One plane for me from Seoul, South Korea to Helsink.

Last time I threw a javelin was USA Nationals outdoor in 2006. 58.25 meters.

Last week, I took 20 throws to test myself on an old dirt soccer field. I averaged 58 meters for the collection, so, I would like to share what I do from now, Week 1 through mid-July to prepare my 43 year-old carcass to wage battle with the fence at the other end of the landing area in Lahti.

Since October, when I arrived here in South Korea to work as DoD journalist, I have dropped 40 lbs. with only a change of diet. That was step one...

Anyone else in South Korea looking to make this trip to Lahti? drop me an email. Time to rally!

Top Top

Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Bought the plane tickets, reserved a room at the Radisson Helsinki on the water ($1500 total, flying from Seoul, South Korea to Helsinki and back).

For me, that was the only problem - logistics.

The challenge has been rewarding, and from what I've read in this forum, I am in a nasty hoard of unrelenting folks who are preparing to do some serious battle at Lahti across all the events! HA! Watch our smoke!

Lots of pull-overs and med ball tosses the first three weeks, and stretching like a rubber band makes up the training for now. 300-gram Turbo javs allow me to throw without burning out what is left of my throwing arm after 27 years of javelin throwing. All jav folks: get a turbojav. They make your release correct, and teach muscle memory speed...and if you miss the point, 300 gramms is a lot easier to deal with than a heavy metal spear pulling your flexor tendon in half!

Top Top