masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today I volunteered to officiate the boy's and girl's discus at a high school relay meet. It was 85 degrees (much cooler and less humid than North Carolina). I worked from 2 to 7 PM. I was going to lift weights after the meet. I am so sore and tired that I feel like I've been run over by a truck.

I hope we take better care of the officials in Maine this year than we did in North Carolina last year. I gained a new perspective for what they do for us.

Tom Fahey, thrower M59

Top Top

Fri May 11, 2007 9:07 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Absolutely! Everyone athlete in EVERY sport should officiate to see what it's like to work in the shoes of an official. Many T&F officials don't get paid one cent for doing their job. Every athlete should thank every official and leader that helps put our meets on.
Jeff Brower, M48 Combined, USATF Official

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat May 12, 2007 2:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Absolutely agree -- everyone should officiate to see what it's like on "the other side of the fence." I recently volunteered at a local senior games meet in a field event. All the competitors were polite and courteous, except for ONE and he irritated me no end. When he complained to me about the event starting late, didn't like the length of the warm-up period, results took too long to be posted, etc. I simply told him that all volunteers were donating their time. Without them, there would be no meet. And if he was so concerned about the event running to his satisfaction he should volunteer to run it next year.

Volunteer at a meet and you'll greatly appreciate the job done by the officials!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun May 13, 2007 9:13 am

Master Masters Athlete

I hope everyone will pay the extra $15 for the officials' fund. This is my 10th Masters Nationals since turning 50. Every one of those meets were run professionally and tirelessly by the officials. They are dedicated and generous to give us their time.

Check the box and pay the bucks.

Tom Fahey M59 thrower

Top Top