masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon May 14, 2007 10:09 pm

Master Masters Athlete

New guy here. Just found this forum. VERY COOL! I started running again 10 months ago after 25 year hiatus, mostly local 5ks. A few months ago I started speed training and last weekend ran in the "Hayward Classic" in Eugene, OR. Not as fast as I used to be but still not too shabby for 39yo. I figure someone will want to know so...I did the 200 in 25.46, the 400 in 56.01 and the 800 in 2:15.95. I am very sore today. Anyway, I'm happy to find this forum and to share and learn info from you experienced runners!

Top Top

Tue May 15, 2007 4:14 am

Master Masters Athlete

Howdy, champ! Glad to have you on board.

Welcome to masters -- which is 25 percent training and 75 percent
injury management. Soreness is fine, but take care not to push the envelope when its starts pushing back.

You have 50 or so more good years left in your track career.

Enjoy the ride!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed May 16, 2007 7:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks Ken! Yeah, I can tell that not getting injured is key! I've also learned that I can't train at the same level as before.

Top Top

Thu May 17, 2007 7:51 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Not shabby at all. Looks like we're in similar boats, 'cept I've got a couple more years of wear and tear. I'm almost 42 and started up again after 24 years, looking to run the local Y's all-comers meets this summer starting in about two weeks. 800m training has been, ummm, hard! In hindsight, it's amazing what our 17 y.o. bodies could go through. I seem to have some speed still so right now I'm thinking 400 mostly, but I'm sure I'll try a half or two. Right now I think I could do 57ish, and mayyybe 2:20 in race conditions. Shooting for sub-55 by end of the summer. I got started by going to a personal trainer for a bad back. I'm still trying to figure out the optimal training regimen. I'd be interested to hear what you're doing.

Top Top

Thu May 17, 2007 8:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

BoiseMaster wrote:
800m training has been, ummm, hard! In hindsight, it's amazing what our 17 y.o. bodies could go through.

No doubt! Thanks for the kudos! You definitely seem to have some speed left. We do seem to be in similar boats. I was a miler and 880 guy in the past but I seem to be doing best in the 400 right now. I calculated my recent PRs in the 200, 400 and 800 vs the "all-American" times for my age group and am closest to the necessary times in the 400...by a substantial margin. I hope to get under 55 sec this season.

As for my training: first and foremost, as Ken Stone said, avoid injury. Adequate warm up, don't overtrain, listen to your body. Second, I think weight is the enemy. When I was younger and really fast, I was really skinny. Jeremy Wariner is reportedly 6'0" and weighs 155lbs. Eight yrs ago I was 6'2 1/2" and 230 lbs. (lots of weights and protein and food and creatine. I was also very strong.) Two years ago I was down to 6'2 1/4" and 205lbs. Last week I weighed in at 187lbs. I run 3 to 5x /week. Once a week I try to put in 4 to 5 miles at about a 6:30 pace. Other days I run intervals (100 to 800) with never more than 8 at a time. Once evry week or two I do hills. I still lift once or twice a week and especially focus on calf lifts, usually 2 feet with reps up to 50 or 60 and sometimes single foot reps to 20 or until I can no longer stand the burn. I think this has helped a lot, as shorter distance runs are done on the toes. The calves need to be strong! Occasional repetetive squats too (50 to 100). My training is NOT very sophisticated and I've been thinking about buying a book to learn more. I've also thought about getting a coach but that really is way more than I need!
Hope you find some of this helpful, or at least entertaining! :D

Top Top

Fri May 18, 2007 8:21 am

Master Masters Athlete

Welcome to the world of Masters Track & Field.

Top Top

Fri May 18, 2007 3:09 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

"Weight is the enemy." I should have that printed on a t-shirt. I'm 5'9" and was 135 lbs in high school. Now I'm 164, and that's after taking 10 lbs off over the last few months. Basic physics says lugging an extra 30 lbs around the track is going to be more work. I think with the training I have more lean muscle mass and am much stronger overall than then, particularly in the core and upper body, but still.

Our training regimens sound pretty darn similar. 2-3x/week runs, although my trail runs are closer to 2.5-3 miles. Intervals once or twice weekly, weights once weekly on average. Leg workouts tend to be heavy on lunges of all sorts.

What I'm noticing most in the intervals is how fast I reach aerobic threshold and how immediate the impact is. 200s are OK, 400s are hard work after about 250, 600s are torture. I'm chalking it up to a still-lousy base, but it sure makes those ladders awful.

Look forward to hearing how your season progresses!

Top Top

Fri May 18, 2007 7:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

tphit wrote:
Welcome to the world of Masters Track & Field.

Thanks tphit. Boise, I'll keep you posted and hope you'll do the same!

Top Top