masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:00 pm

A few of you know me from competition, most of you have only read my posts. I just wanted to say that I'm hanging up the throwing shoes to pursue other interests for the time being, but I also wanted to publicly thank Dave and Ken for starting and keeping this site the best there is in the world in getting rankings, results, and news about the masters track and field community. A good deal of my motivation to train diligently was in reading Masterstrack.com rankings and seeing the marks others had put up and think about what I had to do to try and surpass them. Even though we have never met or competed against one another, Glenn Thompson was an athlete that kept me on my toes for years after seeing his marks in the rankings, which in turn, made me work hard to keep up with that standard of throwing. Others I'd like to thank are here in Colorado, the Rocky Mountain region and some have since moved away but all have in some way, influenced and motivated me to work hard to succeed such as Tim Edwards, Jerry Bookin-Weiner, Kris Lettow, Bob Jones, Chad Lindsey, Paul Barrett, Casey Malone, John Kuemmerlin and Rande Treece to name a few of many. I wish all of you athletes out there much happiness and success in your track and field endevours and I hope they are as much fun for you, as they were for me!! :D Milton Girouard P.S....and yes, the good looking chap in the pic to the left of this post is me. :wink:

Top Top

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I hope there is not a wife or girlfriend behind this. As Lance Deal said, "Some people go to church, others walk in the park, we throw!"

Top Top

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:42 am

LOL...One of the reasons I probobly don't have a wife or girlfriend is because of throwing!! LOL...Women like the skinny runner types anyway :)...but at times, they can be impressed by a long discus throw if they happen to see one... :wink:

Top Top

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:08 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

As a skinny runner-type female, I must say I've always liked the big throwers the best! :wink:

Top Top

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:36 pm

Alright Blazingbayou... you heard it fella's...big thrower types are the rage now!!! :shock: I can see and hear it now... cat calls coming from the stands as the big fella's approach the ring to throw at Nationals in Maine! :oops: ... Remember ladies, throwers are more than just good looking hunks... we have feelings too. :P

Top Top

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:40 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I'll always cheer for the throwers and jumpers and the sprinters too!

In my very first masters track meet--Port City Masters last October--I was the only runner in the W1500m. I was thrilled to hear continuous cheers as I ran my lonely laps. All the cheers came from the infield...the shot putters, the high jumpers and the long jumpers.

I left that meet thinking, "this is a really nice sport where everyone supports each other." I had the same experience at my second masters meet~the Southeastern Masters in Duke. Great people, all.

So don't worry, IronSlinger, I'll be cheerin' for your peeps. And I'll make sure other skinny distance-types do too.

Best of luck on your new adventures. Hope you'll be back throwing one day.

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:28 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Ironslinger wrote:
A few of you know me from competition, most of you have only read my posts. I just wanted to say that I'm hanging up the throwing shoes to pursue other interests for the time being, but I also wanted to publicly thank Dave and Ken for starting and keeping this site the best there is in the world in getting rankings, results, and news about the masters track and field community. A good deal of my motivation to train diligently was in reading Masterstrack.com rankings and seeing the marks others had put up and think about what I had to do to try and surpass them. Even though we have never met or competed against one another, Glenn Thompson was an athlete that kept me on my toes for years after seeing his marks in the rankings, which in turn, made me work hard to keep up with that standard of throwing. Others I'd like to thank are here in Colorado, the Rocky Mountain region and some have since moved away but all have in some way, influenced and motivated me to work hard to succeed such as Tim Edwards, Jerry Bookin-Weiner, Kris Lettow, Bob Jones, Chad Lindsey, Paul Barrett, Casey Malone, John Kuemmerlin and Rande Treece to name a few of many. I wish all of you athletes out there much happiness and success in your track and field endevours and I hope they are as much fun for you, as they were for me!! :D Milton Girouard P.S....and yes, the good looking chap in the pic to the left of this post is me. :wink:

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:30 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Going miss see you at the Mines and CU meets. Good Luck

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:12 pm

I'll miss competing at those meets for sure. I'll see you at the CU meets. If I'm not spectating, I may be helping measure, shag shot's and disc's... whatever. I'll see you next season Steve...Milt :wink:

Top Top