masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:37 am

Senior Masters Athlete

okay.. I am a W41 newbie to the whole masters scene.

My background: I am back after a 19 year hiatus. Back in the day I was a short sprinter and horizontal jumper. My track career ended with a quad injury at NCAA Nationals (Division III) so I never competed at my best. Track is in my blood (born and raised in Kenya) Its time for vindication...

My training: THere is no Masters Track Club in my area so I am looking for a cyber training partner. I competed 2 weeks ago and ofcourse with all my enthusiasm I managed to do something to my hip joint area - not sure what... I train at a grass soccer field at the local School which has a very temp. and sad sand pit we put in for the school track team. I have another meet on the 7th and I am hoping for significant progress.

Right now my training is sporadic. I have 4 youngs kids with packed schedules. Since my hip injury I have been doing core type conditioning close to daily. Walking hills for 20 minutes ( i am a slow jogger and prefer walking hard hills instead) every other day. I am leaving the jumping alone until my hip feels better. Yesterday I tried sprinting and I had no turnover whatsoever. I felt heavy and slow. I had on regular running shoes. I decided to work on drills specifically bounds, backwards running, high knees, and butt kicks. My core conditioning has some great excercises that help me stretch and get loose nicely. My hip is better but still nagging, so I ice, stretch and heat. (not in that order)

Any help, advice, would be helpful.
Thank you
Uni

Top Top

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:31 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

What a kindred spirit. Like you I have no club - no coach- full time job - three kids involved in all kinds of activities. Also like you I never got a chance to really develop while in college. I had a cast on my foot four times from the same injury. I never felt 100 % then it was over (got to graduate right?)

In 2005 I came back (also after a 19 year hiatus ). I hurt myself in the first track meet and was out for the rest of the year. What the brain remembers - the muscles have long forgotten :wink: .
I didn't listen to my husband when he tried to tell me that back then. He was nice enough not to say I told you so as we drove to the grocery store for bags of ice.

Right now I am also coming off an injury - a grade one hamstring strain. I've been off for about three weeks.

If you'd like you can email me at reneehend@hotmail.com. I will happily share with you the little bit I've learned since coming back(again) last year.

Top Top

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:34 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Dear Momof4 --I tried to send you a private msg but it seems to be stuck in my outbox. If you would like, please contact me at lpalmer8260@yahoo.com. I would be glad to help with what I've learned, and what I'm still learning.

I'm a sprinter/hurdler/jumper, W46. 2006 was my first year of competition so I'm still relatively new at this but will be very happy to share.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Welcome back Uni, and good luck!

Top Top

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Thank you sooo much for your replies. I already feel much more comfortable as a Masters Athlete! I plan on having loads of fun playing in the sand :D and meeting other trackies.

Uni

Top Top

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:18 am

Senior Masters Athlete

A Kenyan with running in her blood? I have never heard of such a thing.

Top Top

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:14 am

Senior Masters Athlete

:lol: yup a Kenyan who consideres 400m a distance race

Top Top

Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I hear you Uni. That 400m is a distance run. They should have water stops along the way. lol Hang in there. I've had so many injuries that I could hardly count them. Some were earned. During my prime, instead of focusing on the triple jump olympic qualifiers I was doing crazy stuff like competing on american gladiators. Smashed my ankle to smithereens! Ofcourse that didn't stop me....I continued to engage in stupid stuff. I'm still fighting my way back from hamstring injuries.
You stay with it. You'll be back to your old self in no time. We'll all be your cyber training buddies!

Linda

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM