masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:02 am

Master Masters Athlete

I am writing from a hotel in Bellaria, which is about 5 miles from Remini and Riccioni. There are at least 1000 hotels in a 20 mile stretch of beach. The prices are reasonable and the food is wonderful.

Yesterday, I visited the discus venue at Misano Adriatico. The stadium is very nice but it is about 1 mile inland from the coast. They are installing a new field for the discus competitions. The wind is excellent (right quartering wind at about 5 mph). The circle appeared a bit slow but not bad (hard to say because it was filled with water). I was drooling when I saw the venue because we will not have to compete in a stadium in a tail wind. For once, the Americans get a break.

I think the World Championships will be a lot of fun. There is plenty of reasonable lodging, great food, and favorable weather. It is a bit humid but not bad. I am looking forward to a great competition.

Tom Fahey M59 thrower

Top Top

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:23 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Discusdoc,

Good to hear there are many hotel options. I was only going to stay 2 nights but it looks like I'll have to stay 3. The official WMA Travel agency requires minimum of 4 nights so I'm in search of options.....Arriving 9/6. compete 9/7 (Shot Put) and leaving 9/8 or 9/9 for Rome via train (I hope).

JBroun mentioned a website on another post but having trouble getting response. If you have suggestion I'm all ears!

Enjoy your stay....

Jim Burgoyne

....Just a few more throws!

Top Top

Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:00 am

Master Masters Athlete

You must declare for the event the day before. Also, make sure you drop off any impliments the day before or you cannot use them in competition.

Look up Rimini on Google and you will find hundreds of hotels. September is off season, so there will be plenty of inexpensive rooms.

Top Top

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:10 am

Master Masters Athlete

Air traffic is a mess in Europe right now. I made my connection to Bologna by 3 min coming over and missed the connection in Paris. Plan for an extra day when going to the championships just in case.

My overall impression was good: great food, plenty of cheap hotels, nice facilities, good wind. The temperature in Sept is supposed to be good but muggy.

I am not sure about non-meet day training opportunities. I was there for about 4 days and couldn't find a place to throw. You can't even throw at the beach because all 25 miles of beach front is private and lined with beach chairs.

Top Top

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:18 am

Junior Masters Athlete

What are the prevailing winds in Sept for Riccione? I can do a Google earth and find the pole vault runways...this will help in deciding what poles will be needed.

Don

Top Top

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I only visited the discus venue at Misano. The wind was coming in straight from the sea. However, at night at the beach it sometimes ran from north to south. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I started salavating when I saw the wind at Misano. Perhaps I can give the Germans a run for their money.

Tom Fahey M59 discus

Top Top

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:09 am

Master Masters Athlete

Good luck to you Doc.

You sure got there early. I guess jet lag will not be a factor for you!

Top Top
  Profile WWW