masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:37 am

Master Masters Athlete

I would like to hear from some other thowers about their standing throw distances, and how they compare to their full throw distances.

I've always felt that the % increase is a good measure of the quality of one's technique. I've also felt that it's kind of wishful thinking to hope for big full throw distances when you have a weak standing throw (like myself). The expression "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" comes to mind. :)

Anyway - Here's mine, based on my best performances at last night's practice session.

Standing - 118'
Full throw - 141'

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:49 am

Master Masters Athlete

In elite throwers (greater than 200 feet) there is no relationship between standing and full-turn throw distances. However, a good standing throw is a measure of basic horse power for the event.

Standing throws are good for developing specific strength in the event. During the off season, I throw a 3 kg discus standing about 3 times per week (10 reps). The other day I had a personal meet (measured throws under simulated conditions) and threw 175 ft turning and 140 ft from a stand with the 1.5 kg discus (great wind). I find that standing throws are hard on my back, so I try to minimize them during this time of year.

Most masters throwers throw before their left foot lands in the throwing position. Standing throws don't do any good unless you throw with both feet planted during full turns.

Tom Fahey M59

Top Top

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:36 am

Master Masters Athlete

Interesting.

If there is no relationship between stands and full throws at the elite level then what is it that they are doing, because I think I see a pretty good relationship way down here at the non-elite level.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think they are good for conditioning. As you said, at our level they are a good predictor of performance. However, standing throws are hard on old bodies. Old throwers have to be careful about hitting blocked positions. During the spin, we naturally continue the motion after the throw while we tend to overload the spine during standing throws.

Top Top