masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:38 am

Master Masters Athlete

I've been waiting for the year I can finally start competing in Masters events and next year is the year. I want to compete in the national championships and I know the outdoor championships are in Spokane but I haven't been able to find a location for the indoor championships. I know the USATF site says that the bid is still open but I would think they'd have to have a site picked out by now this late into the game. Any information on the meet itslef (place/dates) and what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Do I have to have qualifying marks (like in college) and if I do where would I find these marks. I look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas with you all in the future. One last question... is the National Masters News a good publication for throwers looking for meets, results, and general information? As a track and field fan and coach I enjoy keeping up on all news track and field but as a thrower I know a lot of track and field publications that skimp on the field part of it. Should I buy a subscription to this publication or do you guys/gals know of any better publications that I should look into getting. Thanks a lot.

Top Top

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:27 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey there! Glad to see you're getting ready to compete. The indoor nationals are March 28-30 at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston. More info will be posted on this website as it gets closer. It's a fun meet and I plan on being there; hopefully you will too.

As for NMN, the publisher Randy Sturgeon appeals to all facets of masters track and field, long distance running, and race walking. He includes all types of meets in his schedules (including throws meets) and often will have a column written by a thrower with training advice and info. He would be glad to send you a complimentary copy if you contact him at resfish@sbcglobal.net.
Liz Palmer

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:37 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Which age group are you entering? There are no qualifying marks for the USATF Masters meets. Generally the most competitive age groups are the 50's and the 60's, which will usually draw good fields. The 30's are usually under represented and the 40's are somewhat better. You can look up the results of the last 4-5 years on this site, under the results area.

National Masters News is the only publication where you can find results from around the country. It's worth subscribing to if you plan on competing on a regular basis.

Next years meet is in Boston. The site for 2009 is up in the air, but supposedly Landover MD might be the site.

Good luck and hope to see you in Boston.

Top Top

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:03 am

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks for all the information and opinions on the National Masters News subscription. I will be competing in the 30 - 35 age category and will compete in the shot put and weight throw during indoors (never have tried the super weight before) and the shot put, discus, hammer, and javelin during the outdoor season. Again thanks for the information and you'll be hearing from me often :D

Top Top

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:50 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Once you go to one or two meets you will interact with other throwers and
they will let you know about upcoming meets in your area.

Also the Masterstrack.com has a good listing under "meets".

Good luck!

Top Top