masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:09 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Female 44 - used to throw in school -- started in hurdles... was pretty good, then I grew (to 5'7 140 lbs back then) out the pre-pubescent body and got pretty good at shot-put (32-33 ft). I want to throw once again after 25 year hiatus. I've never done hammer, but it looks like something I would like. I don't have one though. Should I just show up at a meet and ask for help --- no coaches where I live. I bought a shot and a discus, but holding off on more major purchases to see if I like competing again.
Thinking of going to East Stoudsburg, PA, and I'm going to the Keystone State Games. I live in Northern Pennsylvania.
Barb

Top Top

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:03 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Go for the hammer! It can be a very technical, unforgiving event, but very satisfying to whirl this lump of steel around and plunk it out into the grass at a distance longer than a discus attempt.....

BY ALL MEANS SHOW UP and watch and ask advise---we are all learning and trying and recognize what it feels like to be starting this learning journey, and someone will lend you a hammer to use during the meet.

I noticed today a site www.coachlarryjudge.com, and under "videos", is a short "freebie" clip of the hammer throw from a much longer for-sale video, but what is good, is it concentrates on the FOOTWORK, which you can watch and even try out on your own without a hammer!

very basic advise: long arms; extending your arms out as straight as possible to gain radius and therefore build up centrifical force, and from a low point, sweep the arm motion up when you release, raise your arms up, high overhead, to give the release a nice high arc. This motion can also be practiced even without an actual hammer.

If you go to wwww.macthrowvideo you will see elite, American hammer throwing women when you link to "USATF videos here...", and in another part of the home page the current women world record holder.....when you are at "square one" it is not feasible to do what they do, so this is not good for the "ego"---but hey, you might as well see the use of ENERGY and body strength and acceleration and building momentum, since the throw lasts a bit longer in the circle from the brief movement of the shot or discus....from standing still at the back of the circle, winding the hammer overhead, into the turns, go, go, faster faster- and then wham! the release.

Hammer Forever!

Peter Van Aken
Poughkeepsie NY
M50-54 39.14 hammer 2006

Top Top

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:31 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

http://www.throwersclub.ca/training_tips.htm

it's a canadian site, aye!?

Top Top

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Barb,

The Long and Strong Throwers club is in PA. Not sure where all of the members are located, but in PA. Look them up. The few I've met at meets have been great guys. I believe the website is www.longandstrong.com. I'm sure they can help you get started. Definitely try the hammer. but like Peter I'm biased.

I've made a couple of practice hammer implements out of chain for some female friends who wanted to try it. They've since gone on to buy regular hammers and have caught the throwing bug.

Keep asking questions. Check out www.effortlessthrow.org. It's a forum dedicated to the throws. Even just trolling, you can learn a lot.

Never to old to get back into it.

Multiple National Champion and record holder Trent Lane didn't start until he was 91 I believe.

Michael V.
M49 HT

Top Top

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:56 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks everyone, you've all been pretty encouraging! I look forward to my first meet! Just don't laugh, it's been 25 yrs!!!
Another question on the lighter side ... where do all the single guys hang out????
Barb

Top Top

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think I heard they were all at the track practicing their throws!

Top Top

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:36 pm

LOL
Senior Masters Athlete

YeeeHaaa!

Top Top

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:31 am

Barb, E-mail me at ironslinger@juno.com and I'll relay to you a bunch of resources in your area for training, meets, etc. Milt 8)

Top Top

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:50 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi Barb! I'm 42 and picking up the discus again as well after 24 years. I have yet to meet with my coach, (retired local college-level throws coach), but I have gotten my discuses, shots (might try that again as well) and shoes, and I'm ready to go!

I'm looking forward to training for something specific; I need the motivation to get back into shape.

Feel free to PM me if you want a "newbie discus buddy." :-)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:10 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Just a thought - I got a coach by contacting a local college and asking the track coach there if he knew anyone who would be willing to work with me. I did get a referral and have a coach that I'm really happy with. I might try contacting a college or high school coach - they might be happy to work with you on the side. Good luck!

Top Top
  Profile WWW