masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I will be in Lahti for the World Championships, and will compete in the 800. I lived in Lahti 30 years ago, but haven't been back since then. I suspect that many U.S. competitors will arrive in Helsinki, travel to Lahti, compete, and return to America without learning about or experiencing much of the culture of Finland, and that would be a shame. It's truly a unique place, and not well-known in our part of the world. So I'd like to propose that some day before or early in the competition (26th? 27th? 28th?) we organize a local tour, or dinner, or go to a performance, or something that we couldn't see in the USA - could be in Lahti or Helsinki. If there are folks that are interested I would be happy to do the organizing (I'll be staying in a hotel in Helsinki up 'til the 27th, but in some local acquaintances' home in Lahti through 8/1). We can figure out the what once we know who is interested. If you're game contact me at divanthompson@gmail.com.

Top Top

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:48 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Very good initiative, although the dates may be too early. Anyway I am interested and I have e-mailed you.

Anthony Treacher

Top Top

Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:25 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Great - to Nolan, Ken, Anthony and Michele - and anyone else that wants to join us...we are all in agreement that we will plan to get together in Lahti on the 31st of July, not too early in the morning, but before noon, to do/see something in town, perhaps the market square, have lunch together, and do something else after lunch. My wife and I are leaving for Helsinki tomorrow, and will be there from the 22nd 'til the 27th, when we'll travel to Lahti for the opening ceremonies. We're driving to the arctic circle on the 27th, staying up north that night, then coming back the 28th. When we get back I will look all of you up and we'll get specific. Please let me know where you're staying, as Anthony has done. If you talk with others that are interested in joining us...well, the more the merrier!

Top Top